WAG I am Second - Shawn Johnson

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l.c.o

Proud Parent
Have any of you watched? My DD found it and watched it this morning.

The last couple of minutes took and unexpected turn for me, but overall, I thought it was a pretty good message.

I love the message Shawn sends. I am so filled with joy that she shared this message. <3 I know a lot of people don't believe in the God part she shares, but regardless, the point that gymnastics (or jobs or money) doesn't define a person, is what so many gymnasts need to hear.

Aside from the religious aspect, I think for me it confirmed how horribly we as a country treat our athletes and the pressures we place on them at such a young age. There was another thread about the differences between US trials and trials in other countries and how it's essentially not the huge stage it is here. We forget that as poised and amazing as these athletes are, so many of them are still just children. It makes me sad that she was disappointed by silver medals and how awful of whoever that was that put the medal around her and apologized. I don't know, this made me impressed with her and how she managed to lift herself out of it, whether it was God or her own motivation that did it, but it sort of reinforces for me that pushing kids at that level of intensity ultimately is not good for them. There's a balance and it isn't obtained by pushing 14 year olds to compete at that level.

That was super depressing. She and Michelle Kwan should go into group therapy together. Except at least Michelle Kwan made big $$$. Pretty sure Shawn didn't make nearly as much.

I just watched it yesterday and am impressed at the strength a gymnast has to have to be in the public eye being scrutinized for every little thing. That is a lot of pressure.

That was super depressing. She and Michelle Kwan should go into group therapy together. Except at least Michelle Kwan made big $$$. Pretty sure Shawn didn't make nearly as much.
I beg to differ with that. I think Shawn is still making money due to her celebrity.

There were really only a few athletes that received a large applause at the Parade of Olympians, Shawn was one of them. She is still quite well known.

I haven't watched it yet but Shawn, Nastia and even Mary Lou are all still making money. Shawn "guests judges" on a variety of tv shows including one about body painting. She has ads on her you tube channel too. However, she has also taken classes at Vanderbilt. She has to pay her bills somehow. Being a minorish celebrity looks like fun to me ( but not the Olympic training that came before it).

When you are expected to do well, there is a lot of pressure on you. I remember how favored to win and how hyped she was back in 2008 - people called Nastia's win an "upset", but when you look back, it really wasn't. Simone is probably feeling the same pressure right now, although if she doesn't win, it will be much more of an upset than Nastia over Shawn. And gosh, what about Jordyn Weiber who was favored to win last time and didn't even make AA finals - she seems to really regret going pro from that UCLA video that was recently posted.

I beg to differ with that. I think Shawn is still making money due to her celebrity.

There were really only a few athletes that received a large applause at the Parade of Olympians, Shawn was one of them. She is still quite well known.

Oh, I'm not saying that she didn't make ANY money. I'm sure she's made a respectable amount, but like I said, not on the same order of magnitude as Michelle Kwan. Anyway, I hope she's at peace now with how her competitive career turned out.

Michelle was also a nine time national champion, Five time world champion and a two ( almost a 4) time Olympian.

Last edited:
Shawn johnson's net worth is currently 9 million! That isn't chump changed for someone with quite a bit of earning potential left in her life!

Well this makes me feel better!!!! All the money some others athletes make, gymnastics has one of the worst returns ever!!!!!
Good for you Shawn! I hope these athletes can bank more money in the future! After all it is the hardest sport in the world!!!!!

I thought it was a good video, you won't hear a lot of athletes talk about their disappointments like she did. I didn't get the feeling that she regretted her gymnastics career at all though. I feel like she was being given honest about how she felt, which is just rare to hear. I have a feeling she wouldn't trade her experiences though. Going back a second time maybe she felt like she had to do it for other people and realized a little late that it wasn't what she wanted.

I did like hearing that she was trainI get 40 hrs a week, not because that sounds fun, but because people always like to say "but Shawn Johnson only trained 24 hrs a week preparing for the olympics", I've heard that so many times, and it's obviously not the case!

I always wondered how she felt when Nastia won gold. I remember her being promoted as the "golden child" prior to the Olympics so although it was never discussed publicly I figured it had to be devastating to her to not earn the gold AA. It does sound like she's dealt with those demons. I wish her the best future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back