WAG large team v small team size

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

6 total? definitely a small team.

My gym was medium-sized or on the larger end, and had probably 20-30 compulsories and 10-15 optionals. We all practiced together once a week and the warm-up was quite squeezed!

Our L3 coach was hoping that our team qualified as a "small" team for states so that we can all be in the same session. 6 of our 8 girls are going to states so she thinks we will be a small team.

In Ohio, at state we have National (large teams) and American (small teams) and I believe the cut-off is normally around 7-8 girls to be a small team depending on the breakdown of teams, but any team with 6 or less always goes into the American division. Some large gyms only allow their top 7-8 girls to go to state so they can compete in the American Division....but that's probably a topic for another time.

Our L3 coach was hoping that our team qualified as a "small" team for states so that we can all be in the same session. 6 of our 8 girls are going to states so she thinks we will be a small team.

That's interesting...in our state, both large and small divisions are broken down by age group so the teams really never get to compete in the same session.

This is interesting! In my State, I have never once seen teams or team awards divided by size. (At the State meet, team awards were given out by age bands. For example, L4 had child, youth, junior and senior age divisions; and there were sub-categories (e.g., Child A, Child B...) for individual awards.)

Team size can vary widely -- from 3-6 girls per level (e.g., old gym with super exclusive JO program), to teams w/ 20+ at the compulsory levels. DD's gym falls in the middle. She had 11 girls on her L4 team last year, but it was the biggest group in her gym at the time.

That's interesting...in our state, both large and small divisions are broken down by age group so the teams really never get to compete in the same session.
She said that the small groups are or can be in the same session, but still divided by age. Just like a regular meet. Also, this is only for L3. L4+ is broken down completely by age.

This is interesting! In my State, I have never once seen teams or team awards divided by size. (At the State meet, team awards were given out by age bands. For example, L4 had child, youth, junior and senior age divisions; and there were sub-categories (e.g., Child A, Child B...) for individual awards.)

So, if a gym had a lot of gymnasts of various ages, they could actually win multiple team state titles at a level? In Ohio, we have to wait until the last age group has competed to see which team wins. It's kinda sad because our state meet was on a Sunday and was 5 hours away so we had to leave to get back for school and work the next day. DDs team won but only 6 girls were there to receive the award. I do find it interesting how differently each state is set up.

Yep, same here. We have small teams but they often compete in multiple sessions due to ages.
I just checked one of our current L4 girls on mymeetscores from when she was L3 and there were 6 girls that competed from our gym. They were all in the same session; 4 were in the child division, 1 in junior and 1 in senior.

@amiandjim -- Yes, exactly. A team could win multiple team awards, just in different age divisions. For example, looking at results on our State USAG website, one L4 team (very large) took 5th in Child, 2nd in Youth, and 2nd in Junior.

This year md states 9 and under was small, 10+ large for team awards given at the end of the last session

This should say
This year in MD at the l3 states meet the team sizes were as follows: small teams-9 or less, large teams 10+

Only one team award is given after all sessions are complete, and all gymnasts (small and large teams) compete together in broken down age groups.

I don't think my state distinguishes between team sizes at competitions or awards. At least not at the compulsory level. Personally, I consider 12+ per level large.

If and how team awards are divided by time size is at the discretion of the meet organizer or state committee.

In Florida, when I was there some years ago, there was usually small team, medium team, and large team at championship meets. They looked at the number of team entries and divided into equal divisions for that year, so the number of kids that made up a small team varied each year.

In Ohio, there were two divisions based on team size.

In nor cal, there are no team divisions, but state team championships are determined by taking the top 3 event scores from the 4 highest individual AA scorers at the meet from a given gym. This evens the playing field somewhat, as what you want is four good AAers regardless of team size, not 25 gymnasts with 3 or 4 who are high scorers on each event,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back