WAG What do gyms do to warm up athletes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mthegymqueen

Gymnast
Hi, I was wondering what most people do for warms to warm up their athletes before stretching, and what you think is too little or too less?

What my team (xcels gold, platinum, diamond, and level 6, age ranges from about 11 and up) do is either 7 minutes straight of running on the floor or 7 laps around the gym with stairs (the size of our gym is 18000 Square Feet (my estimate is about 60 feet *300 feet)). I feel like it is too much for me because im dont have a super strong endurance and I am usually more tired throughout the entire practice from this.

Do you think this is a lot for a warm up or is it better to do a harder warm up?

Thank you!

I think that is a lot for warm up. I would be tired too! I’m a silver but all the Xcel levels at my gym either do jumping jacks and punches or up to 5 minutes of running

As a coach: If seven minutes of running are a problem your endurance is a problem. I would recommend going for brisk walks every day to get better at cardio stuff. If not for your sport (it will improve your recovery and thus make it possible to train more without getting overtrained or even injured) it will be great for your overall health. Everyone should be able to run for seven minutes let alone someone doing gymnastics!

I think this depends a lot on what they mean with "running". If it's full out sprinting then that can take a big toll, but else you may have an issue with cardio. Also make sure you're eating and drinking enough, because those are the foundation for your energy.
Agree with this. Running should really be okay, pretty standard warm-up. Sprinting would be much more difficult to maintain for 7 minutes is very tricky. This may be needed for L9/L10 but I don’t think Xcel athletes need to have the endurance to sprint 7 mins if that’s the case.

I think this depends a lot on what they mean with "running". If it's full out sprinting then that can take a big toll, but else you may have an issue with cardio. Also make sure you're eating and drinking enough, because those are the foundation for your energy.
Its normal running but after a 1-2 minutes its a sprint to another corner, then after another 1-2 minutes, it repeats until the 7 minutes are up

Its normal running but after a 1-2 minutes its a sprint to another corner, then after another 1-2 minutes, it repeats until the 7 minutes are up
That should be okay then. Focusing on breathing techniques and stick to the best pace you can. If you get that sick to your stomach feeling/throat feeling then slow down a bit and catch your breath. Practice will make it better overtime and as long as you stretch afterwards a few minutes you should be able to recoup yourself for the workout ahead.

Ours don’t do anything aerobic to warm up because there isn’t enough space. Perhaps add some jogging into your routine outside of gym to build your endurance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back