WAG large team v small team size

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow! A lot of replies :D

My initial question (sorry, I was rushing out the door) was large team v small team awards for STATES, not as a team. As in, there are 6 girls at the level - usually they give out large team and small team awards.

No, they just compete in all different sessions. Just 1 team. Like our gym's level 6 team--at least 1 gymnast was in every one of the 5 sessions for the state meet, because they compete by age group.

My goodness, I have never heard of such things as I read here. Here a team is a team, with at least 3 members to be considered a team. Top 3 scores on each event regardless of age are added together to get the team score. I've seen a team of just 3 win it all at a meet, because their 3 scores on each event were that good. There's no difference in team size at state, as long as there are 3 gymnasts it's considered a team. They compete by age group for awards, but team awards are not announced until everyone has competed, even if it takes 8 sessions to get them all in.

Wow! A lot of replies :D

My initial question (sorry, I was rushing out the door) was large team v small team awards for STATES, not as a team. As in, there are 6 girls at the level - usually they give out large team and small team awards.
Would need to know your state to answer correctly. It is something that is within the discretion of each state. I have heard of 11 or fewer as small team, 12 plus as large team but your state could be different.

My goodness, I have never heard of such things as I read here. Here a team is a team, with at least 3 members to be considered a team. Top 3 scores on each event regardless of age are added together to get the team score. I've seen a team of just 3 win it all at a meet, because their 3 scores on each event were that good. There's no difference in team size at state, as long as there are 3 gymnasts it's considered a team. They compete by age group for awards, but team awards are not announced until everyone has competed, even if it takes 8 sessions to get them all in.

The reasoning behind the two divisions in Ohio was supposedly to allow smaller gyms to be more competitive because the same large, powerhouse gyms were winning all the time...at least that's what I was told. But, as I said, there are a few larger gyms who only allow their top few girls to go so they can compete in the smaller division, which defeats the whole purpose IMO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back