WAG Least favorite meet yet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
Just got back from what's probably the biggest Fall meet in the state. Usually in some odd location that's somewhat in the middle, but not actually close to anyone. DD drew an 8:00 AM session, and given the ~90 minute drive, we opted to get a hotel instead of getting her up so early (getting her up too early has proven to not go well). Hotel turned out to be hosting a soccer meet and our floor was full of pre-teen/teen boys who seemed to have no parents around. Front desk wouldn't tell me which rooms had the parents and wouldn't even call them for me to tell them to control the boys. Went to bed at 9 PM, got up at 7AM, and I was only asleep for about 30 minutes the entire night. Races in the hallway, soccer games in the hallway, slamming doors, and yelling and screaming continued until about 5 AM, and after that I was so pissed I couldn't sleep anyway. DD claims to have slept, but she recalled a wide variety of statements she heard yelled throughout the night, so I can't imagine she slept well.

Despite the lack of sleep, DD performed reasonably well, though she seemed like a noodle. She wasn't shaky or wobbly, just not at all tight. Wasn't expecting great scores, but beam and bars just seemed to have scores that weren't at all right. Bars was just plain baffling. She did a very solid routine that the coaches loved (for the bars coach to like DD's routine, it's in the 9.5-9.6 range). Judges took forever to post the score, and spent considerable time flipping through a little green booklet, with one of them pointing to it several times and making indecipherable motions with her hand. Score eventually went up as a 9.1, with no explanation as to what the deductions were. Judge didn't give the coach an explanation when he asked (he's very polite, so he likely didn't do or say anything to make her not want to tell him; had the HC been there, he likely would have irritated them in looking for a response).

Unfortunately, the 9.1 left DD 0.125 short of her personal goal for the meet (she had kept a streak going for two years and that is now broken). Fortunately, this won't have to stew for long, as there's another meet next weekend, so she'll have something else to think about other than my poor hotel selection and the mysterious bars deductions.

Ugh, that stinks. That happened to us last year at our State Meet. There was a baseball tournament AND some type of reunion going on in the lobby/bar area. I barely slept and my DD slept fitfully. She also had an 8am draw so needless to say it was a very long day (with a 3 hour drive back). She performed reasonably well, but was emotionally out of it all day.

At least you have another meet soon to focus on!

Oh gosh I hear you on that one. Two years back I stayed in a Quality Suites that had a serious party going on in the hallways all night. Only one person on staff in the hotel. When we left at 6am there were booze bottles strewn everywhere, the elevator was beyond indescribable.

I did get my money back as I complained all night and nothing was done, I did not sleep a wink, like you I was really peeved. Meet was rough.

Glad you have many more meets to look forward to and focus on. Now when I book hotels I ask them if they have any groups in house, and if they do I do not want to be on the same floor, or under them or over them. I do not expect silence in a hotel, but I do expect children to behave properly.

I am sure the lack of sleep, coupled with the interesting scores amde it a long day and an even longer drive home.

Hope you complained long and hard in the morning! That is just ridiculous.

And around here a 9.1 is a great score--sorry it isn't as high as they were expecting though. Wonder what happened??

that really really stinks about the hotel. And like gymmomtoo said, 9.1 is an excellent score here. could have just been one or two of those "up to x tenths" deductions where they took the maximum they could.

that really really stinks about the hotel. And like gymmomtoo said, 9.1 is an excellent score here. could have just been one or two of those "up to x tenths" deductions where they took the maximum they could.

Once we heard the scores from the later sessions, we realized the entire team bar scores were ~0.5 lower than normal. Last year's level 5 parents had told me that the bar scores were sometimes low without explanation. The team placed well on every event except bars, which makes me think other gyms weren't getting beat up on bars. There must be something that judge disagrees with our bar coach on.

The judge may be right, I'm not trying to trash the judge. Would just really be interested to know what it was.

I hate meets like that. If scores are consistently lower across the board, then that 's ok, but it doesn't sound like that's what happened. Must be one thing that all your girls are doing that the judges didn't like...?

Floor at level 6 states seemed like that last year. Scores were low across the board except for a team or two that had super-high scores. Granted, those teams had very nice floor routines and probably deserved to win, but the big gap between those teams and all of the other competing teams made me think that those judges were looking for something very specific that those teams were paying special attention to and the other teams weren't.

So sorry about the hotel thing. I just can't even believe that the hotel staff wouldn't do something about that. I think I would be writing scathing reviews on Hotels.com and all of the other travel websites I could find.

So sorry about the hotel thing. I just can't even believe that the hotel staff wouldn't do something about that. I think I would be writing scathing reviews on Hotels.com and all of the other travel websites I could find.
Yesterday (when I was sleep deprived and in a bad mood), I would have ripped them every which way online, but my anger about it is settling down. The hotel was perfectly nice with the exception of the collection of people staying there and the inability of the night manager to do anything about it (young guy, probably just completely inexperienced). I'm willing to allow that it's not the normal experience there. I'll be letting the parent chain know my experience and dissatisfaction. I also have a bone to pick with Orbitz about the fact that I booked two double beds and ended up sleeping on a couch because they didn't have any rooms with double beds.

I have had that happen on two different occasions over the years and both times I called the main booking line (Marriott and Hilton respectively) and they credited me for the stay as well as added points to my club account. I would absolutely call the hotel chain because the manager should know how to handle it or else shouldn't be working nights! Good luck!

We've had this happen at hotels several times in the past several years. It really stinks. You did the right thing complaining. Hopefully you insisted on a refund. With enough complaining during the night, it usually is an automatic. Calling the main line afterward usually will get you a free night and/or extra points but you have to be pushy.I'm not like that but dh is so I make him do it.

As for the scores, if all your girls were .5 lower, then they likely took the same deduction on all of them. it sounds like at least one judge was disputing a skill all your girls were doing and if that's the case, the coach should have been told because obviously it is an across the board problem. could be height of casts/taps, when the hands are released from the high bar, etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back