WAG Legends meet in California

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
DD has found out they will be attending this meet in February. This will be her first time competing out of the country and only her second time competing outside of our small city.

Does anyone have advice or knowledge of how competing in the US compared to Canada will be? I think they are going to put her in level 8 and she is 10 yo if that matters.

I have told her not to worry and just enjoy
herself as it will quite different I would assume.
I
Thanks!!

My DD competed at that meet last year, but as a level 4. I can't answer your questions regarding the levels, but can tell you about the meet. It is at the LA Convention Center, which is in a downtown urban area. If you are planning to stay at the hotels near to the meet know that it is about a 1/2 drive with no traffic from the airport. The LA Live area near there has some restaurants as it is where The Staples center is located, but is not an area where you really want to walk around, especially at night. The meet itself was really nice and well-organized. The gym hosting is McKayla Mahoroney's gym and last year she was there signing autographs and was so nice to all of the girls.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but if I recall correctly your DD is the CPN. If you are at all familiar with the CPP program I was P3/P4 are competed L8 without problems, some things harder somethings easier.
Vault: Tsuk or Yurechenko, handspring will do.
Bars: If she can half pirouette, free hip handstand, giant and layout flyaway she should do great.
Beam: Back handspring series or another acro series, leap series, full turn and a dismount (I did round off back tuck), as well as this year they can do a "C" element I believe so, I would think back tuck would be the most common.
Floor: Back layout with some sort of twist, a double salto line (front tuck front tuck, front tuck round off back handspring back tuck, etc.) Leap series and probably a 1 1/2 or 2/1 turn.
I would say that is she is doing well in CPN, L8 would probably be a great fit for her.

Thanks as both replies have information I was curious about. Is it true the groups have over 100 girls in all categories ?

The younger age group for level 8 here in the states which your DD will likely be in is usually VERY competitive as it is where all the little hot shots are, so be prepared for lots of high scores and great looking routines.

Wow thanks for the link... When I hit level 8 there showed 90 kids!!!! Where I am from in our province my DD is set to compete pre novice elite and there are a total of 2 kids. And I think in gymnix in Montreal that she went to did not have that many kids so it will be really neat for her to experience something line this .

Do they still only award top 8 or do they have another formula as with that many kids it would seem like it would take hours!!!

Though the link shows 90 kids last year, they did not all compete at the same time, but broken up over several sessions (3 it appears). They will do awards after each individual session, further breaking up all the gymnasts competing during that session into age groups for awards.

USAG has certain minimum award standards which I am pasting below:
C. Levels 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10

1. If only one gymnast is entered in an age division, she receives the 1st place All-Around medal only.

2. If 2-10 gymnasts are entered in an age division:

a. Award 1st and 2nd All-Around for 2 gymnasts

b. Award 1-3 All-Around for 3-5 gymnasts

c. Award 1-4 All-Around for 6-10 gymnasts

d. Award 1st place in each event

3. If 11-20 gymnasts are entered in an age division:

a. Award 1-6 All-Around places

b. Award 1-3 event places

4. If 21-50 gymnasts are entered in an age division:

a. Award 1-6 All-Around places

b. Award 1-6 event places

5. If 51 or more gymnasts are entered in an age division:

a. Award 1-10 All-Around places

b. Award 1-10 event places

In reality however, many meets in the US give awards out to the top half in each age group on each event and AA. I can't speak about meets in So-cal, but in Nor-Cal awards almost always go to the top 50%.

Reactions: DND

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back