Parents Leotard issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kristi

Proud Parent
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping I could get the opinions of some others on a problem. My daughter is part of a pre-team and we paid $400 for a leo and other team things, but the problem I have is the way they handled giving girls the leos and the fact that my daughter's is too small. We paid the fee this spring for next spring competitions when my daughter will be six. The leos arrived only two days before a meet at their gym when they are supposed to wear them and no one notified us they would be handing them out, so we went upstairs where we always wait for class to begin. A little while later we were informed leos were handed out, the only size they had left was xsmall, a size for 3-4 year olds and my six year is supposed to squeeze into it. It's tight on her now, but she can get away with wearing it for short periods. I'm mostly annoyed with the fact that girls smaller and younger than my daughter got smalls and my daughter is being forced to wear a leo too small because the gyms unprofessional way in which they handled the leos. When we got her ballet costume it was measured for her and had her name on it to ensure everyone got one that fit. I tried talking to multiple people at the gym and no one cares, then the head coach yelled at me in front of my family, daughter and everyone at the meet, saying the leo is perfect on her and it's not the gyms fault she didn't get a small when other girls did. What should I do? The gym is not a gym I am afraid to leave, except there is only one other gym in the area so if we leave this gym we won't have any options if we have a problem with the other gym. If we leave, trust me it is not only because of the leo, there are several other problems this gym has, this would just be the last straw, but I see it as more of a fact that the gym is not professional, and they don't seem to care about the people that pay a lot for tuition and team fees.

That is not how we handle leotards. Each girl is sized and that size is ordered for her and she is given that size. It makes no sense that they just gave out whatever everyone wanted, when I am sure each one was specifically ordered for each girl. My question though is what size was ordered for her? Some gyms want the leos tight. The may have ordered that size for her.

The yelling at you is quit concerning. if this is how leos are handled, how will bugger issues be handled. Also, if the gym ordered the leos then it is the gym's fault that she received an ill fitting leo.

Yelling at you is unacceptable in general. My DDs coach did something similar to me in public last week and it was definitely the straw that broke the camels back. My DD starts her new gym this week. As for the leo, weren't the girls each measured and then the exact number of each size ordered? Did your DD do a lot of growing since it was ordered? Could you take it mom to mom and ask someone to switch if their DD is smaller? One last thing- $400 for a preteam uniform is just nuts. Nuts.

That is not how we handle leotards. Each girl is sized and that size is ordered for her and she is given that size. It makes no sense that they just gave out whatever everyone wanted, when I am sure each one was specifically ordered for each girl. My question though is what size was ordered for her? Some gyms want the leos tight. The may have ordered that size for her.

The yelling at you is quit concerning. if this is how leos are handled, how will bugger issues be handled. Also, if the gym ordered the leos then it is the gym's fault that she received an ill fitting leo.

I don't think she ordered a leo specifically for her at all, I think they just ordered various sizes and then my daughter was unlucky. It was not made clear to me that this is how they would be ordered though, I thought it was going to be specific to each gymnast, but it wasn't the case.

I don't think she ordered a leo specifically for her at all, I think they just ordered various sizes and then my daughter was unlucky. It was not made clear to me that this is how they would be ordered though, I thought it was going to be specific to each gymnast, but it wasn't the case.
I must say that ordering that way is truly odd. Leo fit is so specific. Really makes no sense to me! Soccer uniform that is bit off, so what, but a leotard?

Yelling at you is unacceptable in general. My DDs coach did something similar to me in public last week and it was definitely the straw that broke the camels back. My DD starts her new gym this week. As for the leo, weren't the girls each measured and then the exact number of each size ordered? Did your DD do a lot of growing since it was ordered? Could you take it mom to mom and ask someone to switch if their DD is smaller? One last thing- $400 for a preteam uniform is just nuts. Nuts.
The $400 was for more than just the leo, but it was still expensive. I already asked the moms and no one will switch, one girl is only 4 and she got a small that was too big on her, but her mom wants it so she can grow into it. And the head coach did all the ordering, she never talks to parents about anything she does, my daughter wasn't measured though as far as I know and when we got the leo the coach looked at the two she had left, they were both extra smalls and so she just handed me one. My daughter said it was too tight and the coach had her lift her arms and because it didn't ride up she said it was perfect for her. The leo arm holes are completely stretched because of how tight it is on her shoulders, it's about and inch and a half smaller than the leo she always weas and it fits her way better.

First of all at our gym we order by the girl.

Next about the other mom with the too big leo. That wouldn't fly at our gym. Team leos and warm ups need to be a correct fit. It can be a safety issue and it just looks sloppy when they don't fit right. Would not fly with our coaches at all. If you try to do the order big so they will get more wear out of it and it is clearly too big. Coach will make you order a new one. They are completely clear about this at order time. You might be able to get the warm up jacket a little big, but anything else not a chance.

For that kind of insane money for pre-team competition gear, you are owed complete satisfaction. This is pre-team for goodness sake, what kind of gym spends that kind of money on competition gear for pre-team? Be the mom and go to the coach and request (demand would be appropriate too) a new leo of the proper size. If the coach says no, then request a refund. While you are in the process of getting this rectified, I would be looking for a new gym. I predict that this is a harbinger of bad things to come on both compulsory and optional team.

I would demand in private that they either make the girls switch because the other is obviously too big, or you demand your money back. This is highly irregular, especially at that cost. Even free leos given out at meets as the gymnast gift are according to the size the coach wrote down next to the girl's name on the meet entry form. This whole situation stinks, and I would not be happy. It's not the coach's money bent spent, it's yours. Personally, that is way too much money for pre-team. Why are they competing? My dd's pre-team was to get the girls ready for team, not to compete.

That is extremely odd and unprofessional. Both gyms my daughter has competed for measured her for both her leo and her warm up. She got a bag with her leo and warm ups with HER NAME on it. If it didn't fit, we found a solution. A solution that didn't include the coach yelling at us or any other parent publicly.

I agree with the others that this is unprofessional and not how it is normally done. At my dd's gym, they measure each girl and order a leotard in the correct size for that girl. We really don't have much say in the size either (there is no ordering a size larger to grow into). They have a very specific way they want them to fit and neither too loose or too tight are acceptable. I also would have a problem with them raising their voice at you. I agree you have a right to be upset.

That being said, when my dd was 6-7 she fit into an xs competition leotard. Personally, I thought it was too small when they ordered it and seeing it on the hanger it looked doll size. But when she tried it in, it fit the way they said it should. She wore it the whole season and it fit the whole season. They are supposed to fit quite snugly. I do understand that your issue is with how the sizes were given out and I would be upset too. But it is possible that the leotard is the right size and it's the others that are going to have trouble with how big they are on their daughters.

That is insane! $400 for preteam is a lot! And you don't even get a size you want/need. I would ask for different size for sure! I don't like the way your coach handled the situation, if you are deff sure you are staying in that gym then you better stand your ground now!

1. $400 for preteam is ridiculous
2. Yelling is not acceptable and should be dealt with.
3. My dd wore an XS as a 6 year old. A very snug comp leo is not unusual.. But. It should have been sized specifically for her. Not randomly handed out.

Add me to the yikes - $400 train. I don't know what it all included, but my DD's year on the rec team (basically our preteam), comp leo, warm up, practice leo and competitio. fees combined were under $400.

I agree with everyone here, this is ridiculous.

When my daughter was 6 she wore a medium. And actually we bought it when she was 5, so it was a bit tight (but probably perfect). My daughter is skinny, but tall. Now she is 7 and wears a large. But the pre-team leos are not expensive at all- maybe $40? Which to be honest is the most expensive piece of clothing my daughter owns, except shoes and jackets. $400 for an ill-fitting Leo would be tough to swallow.

Thank you everyone for your input, I have decided to look at another gym. I went to the current gym today and I felt so uncomfortable with the coach that yelled at me and that made me realize my daughter going there will not work anymore. I really appreciate all of your posts, it has made me feel more confident in switching gyms, thank you.

I think I would be livid!!! We also pay around that price but both Leo and warm ups are specifically fit and ordered for each individual gymnast. There is no way I would tolerate that! Now, that said, competition Leo's are made to fit like a glove, so if it fits but is snug, that's not a problem unless it's uncomfortable for your dd. If it is uncomfortable now, how will she be expected to compete well? I might ask around and just see if anyone has a size that is slightly too big and hopefully be able to swap out. I know at our gym now and previous gym, we keep leos 2 years, so getting one that is a bit snug isn't a big deal since by the beginning of the next season, people will be swapping sizes or selling because kids quit or move. I hope you are able to get it swapped but way unprofessional, IMO to have just ordered various sizes and allowed the kids to get whatever size they wanted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back