WAG Need healing faries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

magymmom

Proud Parent
My dd had her first major gymnastics injury today doing her backhandspring series on the beam. She fractured her hand, we will see an orthopedic doc on Mon. but need healing faries. She is worried about the upcoming season.

:-( Aww...I'm sorry. Sending healing vibes your way. I think you're pretty much guaranteed some type of injury if your kid stays in this sport long enough, at least that's what I'm told. I'm sure she'll be back in the gym soon though. Probably drive you crazy in the interim though. :)

Sorry about the fractured hand, what a tough way to go into the season. I am calling ALL the fairies to come your daughters way and I know the fairies are real because my daughter told me so!

Sending positive vibes to you and your DD! My daughter had a few finger sprains this summer herself working the backhandsprings series on beam so I can definitely see how it can happen. Hopefully, she'll heal fast and be in action soon.

Hope she isn't out too long! I know many of our team girls continue to do something, even with a broken hand--they work the routines around it. Obviously that more difficult as a compulsory--not sure what level your daughter is, but I hope healing goes quickly!

I am sorry, I hope she heals quickly.

Just our experience here, My Dd just got her cast off on Friday. She had 4 broken bones in her hand. She was in the cast for about a month. The Dr told her that because the hand bones are so small they tend to heal quickly. My Dd is a L9 and is chomping at the bit to get back at it. Her coaches have her easing back in (as they should) much to her dismay.

I hope that the same goes for your Dd and she heals fast and is able to get back at it in no time. Tell her not to worry, she will come back and be ready for meet season :) She will get to go to gym for practice and work the things that don't require her hands. Floor routines, (minus the tumbling) beam dance, conditioning etc.

Bummer! Hoping she heals quickly and completely with little down time.
I too broke a bone in my hand doing a bhs on beam (many years ago!) and it was 4 weeks in a splint/wrap deal (not even a full cast). I could still do plenty of conditioning, some basic front tumbling on tumble track (tucks, layouts), and jumps/leaps/turns/and dance on beam and floor. Since I could keep doing all of that, the process of getting everything back was much easier. I think I competed about a month after being cleared to go and wasn't at top form, but had all the skills back. Hopefully it's a similar situation for your dd and she's back in no time. Just listen to the doctors and coaches and try to stay optimistic!
Keep us updated.

I've had this happen twice, and in both cases the the healing process was quick and complete. Both where from folding one of the two middle fingers inward to the palm during beam skills, so the fracture locations may have been in the best possble place with lots of supporting structures surrounding the break. Just guessing that the fracture's location may have something to do with the recovery time.

Thanks for all the responses I will keep you guys updated. She is a level 7 this year and just got her giants to be consistent this last week so I think that is what she is most worried about. she fractured her 4th metacarpal and it was a clean break so we are hoping for 4 weeks. First "real" meet is the 1st weekend of Dec. so we have time just hope recovery goes smooth and fast.

Thanks for all the responses I will keep you guys updated. She is a level 7 this year and just got her giants to be consistent this last week so I think that is what she is most worried about. she fractured her 4th metacarpal and it was a clean break so we are hoping for 4 weeks. First "real" meet is the 1st weekend of Dec. so we have time just hope recovery goes smooth and fast.
That's the exact same bone I broke, she should be back to full speed in no time :)

if no surgery is required, 6-to 10 weeks and she'll be good to go in plenty of time for season. untimely, but not insurmountable.:)

Well we saw the orthopedic doctor this morning and they placed her in a cast, we go back in 1 week to re x-ray and make sure no movement has taken place, as of right now bones are all lined up good. If that looks good she is in the cast till Oct. 22nd and hopefully back to full gymnastics shortly after that. Full recovery of 6-8 weeks. She is able to go to gym for conditioning and routine work as long as it does not involve her arms. She is very upset about the time off as I suspect most gymnasts are but I think we will be back and ready for meet season. She might not reach her goal of making the National Judges Cup team though or she might just surprise us all:)

Having been through broken bones with my DD three years running (and praying to God that this year the cycle breaks!), I can caution you to take their initial time frame with a grain of salt. I swear they tell us a shorter time frame at the beginning to make her feel better, then leave the springing on of longer time to the poor physical therapist! But don't worry--my daughter broken something the middle of December and still competed by February of that following year. I am SURE your daughter will recover well in time to do great this year!

(btw, what is National Judges Cup team?)

@gymmomtoo
National judges Cup team, in our state they take the top 6 AA scores from Level 7 state Judges cup meet and form a team that they take to the National Judges Cup Team Challenge. Her goal has been to make this team since she started competing and now it is finally her year she might be out of the running as it is only open to Level 7's in our state.

Sorry to hear about your DD. I hope she has a speedy and full recovery. And fingers crossed on her making Judges Cup Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back