Parents ooft dd has lost the plot :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scotsgirl

Proud Parent
So thought I would share dd7 is obsessed with one of the older gymnasts , she constantly talks about her , took my phone added her on fb sent her a message to tell her she has made her a card :D , came home from school today made this girl an invite to our house for a sleepover and is going to give it to her tomorrow at gym :D. This girl is 5 years older than dd , I did try and explain this but she is having none of it lol

Maybe the girl will accept, gymnasts are so gymnasts oriented. MY DD was wondering if she should invite some of the teenage gymnasts to her 10 yr old party, she didn't know what do. Then one of the girls in the locker room said "you are inviting us right?"

They all had a great time together.

I wouldn't be surprised if the girl says yes. My ODD has "adopted" a few of the really little ones on her team and has accepted invites to come over from a girl who is 4.5 years younger. She has even gone with the girl's family to meets to cheer her on. I think gymnastics friends have different rules than anywhere else. I think it's really sweet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the girl says yes. My ODD has "adopted" a few of the really little ones on her team and has accepted invites to come over from a girl who is 4.5 years younger. She has even gone with the girl's family to meets to cheer her on. I think gymnastics friends have different rules than anywhere else. I think it's really sweet.
I agree....to an extent. It depends on the gym...and the girls in it. Luckily mine does ok with the much older ones, but ooh boy, I have heard horror stories...

This thread has made me so relieved. My DD loves the littles in the gym and often accepts invitations to sleep overs and birthday parties. I was wondering if maybe she was a little socially behind to want to hang with the younger girls. It does sound like there are special rules for gym friendships.

Starting to sound like the norm with gymnastics so glad this is how it is with the older ones , I think what is happening is dd is inspired by this girl she talks about her constantly at the same time I am also glad as I would rather she was obsessed with a gymnast than a crappy popstar :D

Gym camp today. Funny the 7-10 yr olds were enjoying being the heros to the littles as in 4-5 yr olds. My almost 10 yr old, was like they are just so cute.

I say go for it, she will probably enjoy it and it's good for the older girl too b/c if she gets to know the younger girl's parents they might hire her for babysitting in a couple of years!

When my DD was in gymnastics, her best friend was 3 years older. She also hung out with girls a few years younger. There did always seem to be friendships across a bigger age span than you'd see at school.

Of course it's the norm in the gym, it's the norm in life - once we leave school. I have frirnds 10 or more years older than em and some 15 years younger. Why can't kids have friends of varying ages. They have a common interest, ie gymnastics.

My 13yo ds had a playdate with his 6yo teammate. 6yo was over the moon that they played together. Ds had a ton of fun with him.

My 9 year old DD's best friends are 11 and 12. They all started team together and up until this year had stayed in the same level when finally they got split up. It was a big adjustment for all of them.

Now that my DD is in a higher level she is tickled pink when the little 5 and 6 year olds watch her with googly eyes and show off their new skills to her. I think its great! It's really one of my favorite parts about gym, age just doesn't matter there. I especially like it cause DD doesn't have real close friends at school. She has no time for "drama, boys or clothes." All she cares about is gymnastics...so far.

Not to be a wet noodle, but I am a realist.

A visit probably, a party sure, a sleepover, doubtful.
Because being seen and revered as a role model is such a horrible thing? Hate to break it to you but plenty of the older girls would do a sleepover. Captive audience of girls who idolize them? Woohoo! Now, more than likely the older girls have other plans and won't come, but it won't be because of the OP's age. I come from a marching band background, and it's also an activity that isn't age-segregated. Seniors hanging out with Freshmen? All the time. It's no different here.

Because being seen and revered as a role model is such a horrible thing? Hate to break it to you but plenty of the older girls would do a sleepover. Captive audience of girls who idolize them? Woohoo! Now, more than likely the older girls have other plans and won't come, but it won't be because of the OP's age. I come from a marching band background, and it's also an activity that isn't age-segregated. Seniors hanging out with Freshmen? All the time. It's no different here.
I'm sorry I didn't see the part where I said it was a horrible thing o_O
Nor did I say the older kids don't like to hang with younger kids, just that it would be less likely for a sleepover. As in one on one sleepover not a party.

And I get that there are times when age doesn't matter, like ummm grown ups

And times when it matters less like sports, music.

And the reality is there are times that it does. I'm pretty sure no one is going to let their 12 yr old date a 17 yr old yet it's only five yrs.

I'm sorry I didn't see the part where I said it was a horrible thing o_O
Nor did I say the older kids don't like to hang with younger kids, just that it would be less likely for a sleepover. As in one on one sleepover not a party.

And I get that there are times when age doesn't matter, like ummm grown ups

And times when it matters less like sports, music.

And the reality is there are times that it does. I'm pretty sure no one is going to let their 12 yr old date a 17 yr old yet it's only five yrs.

You really do love to be argumentative. Feel free to reread and find the lightheartedness in my statement. I could throw plenty of examples at you, including my own childhood where my best friend growing up was 3 years younger than me. When I was 9 and she was 6, or when I was 14 and she was 11...never even entered our minds. Nor were we in sports together or anything like that.

Anyway, try not to take things so seriously. ;)

Ironically tonight invitations were given out for one of the optionals birthday...she is turning 14...my dd was the only optional not invited. She wasn't upset about it though, she didn't want to see some scary movie or talk about boys...and we will still get her a present. I do think there are limits sometimes. But it wasn't meanest excluding her, the girl just didn't put her in her circle of friends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back