MAG pbars dismount question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
DS is working on his layout 1/2 dismount for pbars and it's coming along well. His coach says, however, that he wants him to do a double back. My understanding is that both are Bs and thus fulfill that requirement for L8. Because it's the weekend and I can't ask his coach, I ask you all: Is the reason to go with the double back that it's a more progressive dismount?

(The layout 1/2 looks pretty and doesn't scare Mom, who's been spending too much time hovering recently to make sure DS doesn't overdo it in the gym.)

Yes. Double is a c. I think your guess re more progressive is likely the reason. You see lots of halfs in level 8 and 9 though.

Thanks! I think it's probably best that all the parents in his cohort stay away as much as possible -- a couple of his buddies are working on vault catches, which is also a bit alarming in the beginning stages. But I know you two have even more reason not to want to ask, "so what happened in practice today, honey?"

I don't think DS has gotten anywhere near figuring out a Pbar dismount for L8 - their new coach has 25+ years of experience training national level men and women - and the boys keep complaining (although they really like him now that they know him some) that all they do is strength, drills and then skills that are "way too hard"....I'm pretty sure that they'll wake up in November with a ton of new skills they have been "training" all along through the drills - I know he's been training double backs on floor and on tramp for rings dismount, so I'd guess that would be where he'd go for pbars - as DS is having trouble twisting (coach says its hard to learn to twist when you are older - which for my kid is tough as he started level 4 at age 10...).

DS is working on his layout 1/2 dismount for pbars and it's coming along well. His coach says, however, that he wants him to do a double back. My understanding is that both are Bs and thus fulfill that requirement for L8. Because it's the weekend and I can't ask his coach, I ask you all: Is the reason to go with the double back that it's a more progressive dismount?

(The layout 1/2 looks pretty and doesn't scare Mom, who's been spending too much time hovering recently to make sure DS doesn't overdo it in the gym.)

stop hovering. a layout 1/2 is useless as an end skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back