MAG pbars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, D is really struggling with a skill, that he should have had by now. (In his words). He cannot seem to bail from handstand. HE falls off every single time, and he is getting very frustrated. Any tips for him?

In a handstand on pbars, and you swing down to go into a skill straight from the handstand.

From how high is he bailing? Can he just gradually work it up? I suppose that's what he's been trying to do . . .

One of our 7s had trouble with it last year - I think he didn't have complete control of either skill so putting them together was a no go. My older boy says "its in the swing, mom..." not sure if that's helpful at all, but he can hold a pbar handstand for like an hour or so and they do swing drills like crazy (100s literally - for him and the other older boys to handstand and back out.)

On the other hand, he's still getting dinged for not having a complete press - and added a couple swings last meet for unknown reasons...at 14! it was about 9 pm...anyway...it will come...

I think it is weight related...in that he has grown a lot in the last 6 months, and last year was closer to bailing from hs than now. But it is driving him nuts. I do think he just needs to practice and practice. But he thinks he should be able to do it NOW. lol. (I love 12 yos, I love 12 yos, I love 12 yos).

D still gets dinged on exttra swings, too

I have reminded him that skills don't come overnight, and he has to work at it. Hopefulyl he will stop getting so frustrated and just keep at it.

That makes perfect sense - height/weight changes would change the way the swing would have to be put together into the bail....My kids grow "a lot" for them - and it ends up an inch or 2....so less obvious - although it did mess up DD tap on giants for a year...

I too love 12, and 14 has been just dandy, let me tell you!! (sign, thankful I still have a nice, easy 10 year old - who gets his swings right but sometimes forgets his floor routine...my DD just NEVER messed this stuff up like the boys do!)

I have a 14 yo as well....not a gymnast, but still a 14 yo boy. I understand the need for boarding schools now!

D grew a LOT, which the docs predicted for him. Supposed to stop soon, and not grow for a while, but we shall see.

The main cause of problems on any bail are angles in the body line. Shoulders hips and knees need to be straight (or slightly hollowed). As the swing goes down, gravity and centrifugal forces will pull the body straight - usually with a jerk which leads to the peel at the bottom. Secondly, push the thumbs downward at the beginning of the bail; hang on with fingers. A lot of peels happen due to over gripping the bar. If the gymnast is getting blisters on the inside of his wrists - he is overgripping. This creates a wrist angle that will also pull straight at the bottom. Third, make sure that the gymnast is "pushing" the rails forward trying to generate a very big circle with the body and not dropping straight down. (This also helps to achieve #1). Good Luck!

KRC

THat makes sense. I think he "holds back" on his bails because of fear, although he denies that. I will mention this to him and see if it al makes sense..

Thanks!

THat makes sense. I think he "holds back" on his bails because of fear, although he denies that. I will mention this to him and see if it al makes sense..

Thanks!
I was wondering if it's partly fear related, leading to not doing the skill properly. I am so not a coach though.

I think it is weight related...in that he has grown a lot in the last 6 months, and last year was closer to bailing from hs than now. But it is driving him nuts. I do think he just needs to practice and practice. But he thinks he should be able to do it NOW. lol. (I love 12 yos, I love 12 yos, I love 12 yos).

D still gets dinged on exttra swings, too

I have reminded him that skills don't come overnight, and he has to work at it. Hopefulyl he will stop getting so frustrated and just keep at it.

I was going to ask if he grew recently. When my DS had a big growth spurt a couple years ago, p bars was the most impacted event. He really had to relearn his swing.

I was going to ask if he grew recently. When my DS had a big growth spurt a couple years ago, p bars was the most impacted event. He really had to relearn his swing.

He has grown about 5 inches abd 20 lb since the end of last season I would think. Just guessing on height, but that has to be close. Hoping he stops soon.....

But that makes sense. The height really affected the pbar swing. But I do think there is a fear factor, although D will deny it....

Sort of off-topic, but my kid seems to grow only during comp season (why??). He has had a sudden growth spurt and suddenly he is having trouble even holding handstands (on everything - floor, rings, pbars, etc). Growth affects so much!

Reactions: sce
DD as well! I haven't put a tape measure on her, but I'm sure she added inches between late November and January and is still growing. She lost her kip cast handstand for three or four weeks in the middle of meet season!

Just read krc comments to my level 7ds with the blisters and he's going to try and fix the "over gripping"

Good stuff...thanks

Reactions: krc
So, D is really struggling with a skill, that he should have had by now. (In his words). He cannot seem to bail from handstand. HE falls off every single time, and he is getting very frustrated. Any tips for him?

they need to have an overhead rig where he can go in a belt with bungee/surgical tubing. :)

they need to have an overhead rig where he can go in a belt with bungee/surgical tubing. :)
Yeah..that would be great. But that isn't happening :( In fact, our pbars are questionable according to the boys....they hate them. But we won' tbe getting any new equipment according to the owners :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back