WAG Pike Gainer off the End of Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daffodil

Proud Parent
Hi all. My daughter is training the pike gainer off the end of the beam. Any thoughts on this dismount? Honestly, my biggest concern is injury risk. Lol Any experience with it?

I think it all looks scarier then it actually is and please please please let me continue thinking that :D

Injuries happen. I've seen kids get injured on moves they have been doing for years. And I myself have been injured just walking. :confused:

My solution is to not watch. :cool:

I find some kids are just natural at gainers and neber have any issues, others take a while to figure it out.
Have seen a few broken feet from kicking the beam in them, don't watch her learn them. I wouldn't say that there is a higher risk of injury than anything else she is doing at the gym

Thank you for your responses. I definitely have no plan to watch the process. I am a skittish mess right now about gymnastics due to recent injuries for both of my kids. I know I am no help to them by watching and stressing. Lol I am glad to hear that the gainer is no more dangerous than anything else. My daughter was hurt recently doing a ro full. So, I am happy that they are changing it. I do trust her coach. I just needed some reassurance (and perhaps some Valium. Lol)

Not to scare you or anything, but I know some coaches don't like doing gainers off the end of the beam because of its risk factor. It does look and is scary. My daughter will not do them. She does a gainer full off the side of the beam. She did roundoff to full and half the first two years in L10 but it was not good. So she started doing gainers last year. She has two more years in L10 and will hopefully be connecting a cartwheel or something before her gainer full. College coaches prefer to have it connected with something or I think there is a very minor deduction. We have one gymnast (ended up doing college gym at a Div 1 college) who did a gainers of the front of the beam. It is not as common as the gainers on the side.

I competed gainers off the end of the beam for years, both tuck and pike. I never had any issues and never once came close to hitting the beam with any body part
In my opinion they look worse than they are and are actually pretty easy dismounts to do!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back