Second Question to switch gyms or stay??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First...thanks for all who left comments on my first post.

Next question: What if your dd isn't on the receiving end of the verbal abuse, but witnesses all the other girls that are...what would you say to that parent? I have a close friend who's dd isn't quite on the receiving end (well has been on occasion) but who is very perceptive and is very upset by what she sees and hears.

Thanks :) If you feel lost in the question, please read my first post called "to switch or stay"

I would simply tell her that you are seriously considering leaving and why, and then ask has her DD mentioned what is going on in the gym. If that doesn't lead into an interesting conversation, nothing will.

I would just talk to her about what's going on. Each parent has to make their own decision. I wouldn't leave my child somewhere where the coach was being abusive to other kids regardless if it was directed at her. Eventually the abuse will turn on that child as well.

Who is dishing out the abuse? The coach, the other kids, the other parents?

If its the coach I would be out of there so quick your head would spin. If its the other kids I would talk to the coach about what you have seen and heard. If its other parents I would talk to the owner about what is going on in the viewing area.

I don't think I would say anything to other parents however as it is not my responsibility to police the gym. If someone asked me why I was leaving I would tell them. If the other parents are close friends I might discuss it with them as friends do to confirm that I am seeing what I think I'm seeing.

In the end its every parents responsibility to be aware of what is going on and do what is best for their own child.

Also if you feel it truely is "child abuse" verbal or otherwise it should be reported to someone or some agency.

I don't care if the abuse was directed toward my child or not. It is a toxic environment. Kids should not be subjected to such abuse whether it's directed to them, or directed to someone else. The child who is NOT subjected to it, but witnesses it, will think that it's o.k. that an adult treats a child that way... I wouldn't even think twice about switching!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back