Skipping levels in optionals, is this possible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am so utturley confused! I chose at the beginning of the season to switch from USAG to AGA and was happy with my decision, but i am starting to wonder if that was the right decision. Maybe i should have simply quit, i dont know, but i was wondering if it is possible to start as a level 8 if i had never been a lv 7, and things such as that. I have competed and scored out of level 6, if you need to know that.

You should be able to do a L7 score out meet. Our daughter did this for L8 [although us naïve parents were unaware that the HC wanted this to be a score out meet and had planned for her to do a full season of L8] and went on to compete L9. I believe you just need to meet the mobility score. I’m not sure what the mobility score is for L7, I know that it was 34.0 for L8.

I am so utturley confused! I chose at the beginning of the season to switch from USAG to AGA and was happy with my decision, but i am starting to wonder if that was the right decision. Maybe i should have simply quit, i dont know, but i was wondering if it is possible to start as a level 8 if i had never been a lv 7, and things such as that. I have competed and scored out of level 6, if you need to know that.

is aga amerikids? not familar with the acronym.

bottom line...you must compete in a usag sanctioned competition as a level 7 and score a 31.00 to move to level 8. this is required by USAG and NOT what may me mobility requirements for any gym.

You should be able to do a L7 score out meet. Our daughter did this for L8 [although us naïve parents were unaware that the HC wanted this to be a score out meet and had planned for her to do a full season of L8] and went on to compete L9. I believe you just need to meet the mobility score. I’m not sure what the mobility score is for L7, I know that it was 34.0 for L8.

the USAG required mobility score to move from 7 to 8 is a 31.00. from level 8 to level 9 & 9 to 10 is 32.00. again, any other score is one required by the individual gym and NOT USAG.:)

is aga amerikids? not familar with the acronym.

My dd is in AGA and if the original poster is in Texas it may be the same thing. It's my understanding that the AGA is a group of gyms in Texas that compete against each other using optional routines with upward mobility being score based. Once you receive the maximum score allowed at a level, you move up. I find it more low key and more gymnast friendly than USAG especially for the younger group since everybody receives awards and gyms can't keep gymnasts back just so they can win. I think they use FIG for scoring and while I find it tough, I feel the scoring is fair. AGA isn't for everybody but my dd (former usag level 5) loves the constant uptraining and it allows her to have routines that work around her fears while she works on overcoming them.

To the original poster, what don't you like about AGA?

My dd is in AGA and if the original poster is in Texas it may be the same thing. It's my understanding that the AGA is a group of gyms in Texas that compete against each other using optional routines with upward mobility being score based. Once you receive the maximum score allowed at a level, you move up. I find it more low key and more gymnast friendly than USAG especially for the younger group since everybody receives awards and gyms can't keep gymnasts back just so they can win. I think they use FIG for scoring and while I find it tough, I feel the scoring is fair. AGA isn't for everybody but my dd (former usag level 5) loves the constant uptraining and it allows her to have routines that work around her fears while she works on overcoming them.

Sounds like a PrepOp program

i'm not certain you mean me as the original poster. i'm not familar with AGA.

i'm not certain you mean me as the original poster. i'm not familar with AGA.

I was referring to Jenniffir as the original poster and attempting to explain what AGA was so you might understand what AGA was if Jenniffir was in the same program as my dd. Does that make sense? My brain isn't working right today.

gotcha. my brain has been on overload also the last couple days...:)

In Texas it's called TAAF (Texas Amateur athletic federation). We have one more, I don't remember what, but it's below TAAF and of course USAG. I've been thinking about switching gyms so that my daughter can compete USAG. She wants to do gymnastics for college. I'm not sure if I should move just yet though. We LOVE the gym she's at. Problem is that they only compete TAAF and the highest level they train is 8. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions:confused::confused:

i do like AGA (which stand for American Gymnastics Association but only found in Texas area i believe), its just that i thrive on competition and i miss the "state" competitions for USAG, it is not the same if you dont have to qualify and perform as the top ten to represent your state, im just really confused about gymnastics at the moment, to day i was sure i wanted to quit and was even rehersing the speech i planned to gove my mom but i went for a skill i was afraid of and i am currently thouroughly confused again (or to use my teenage term "i is a bit confuzzled" :D) But gthanks for answering my question everyone.

i do like AGA (which stand for American Gymnastics Association but only found in Texas area i believe), its just that i thrive on competition and i miss the "state" competitions for USAG, it is not the same if you dont have to qualify and perform as the top ten to represent your state, im just really confused about gymnastics at the moment, to day i was sure i wanted to quit and was even rehersing the speech i planned to gove my mom but i went for a skill i was afraid of and i am currently thouroughly confused again (or to use my teenage term "i is a bit confuzzled" :D) But gthanks for answering my question everyone.

If you are at a gym that competes both USAG and AGA you might see if they will let you compete in both. It might cost a bit more but could give you the best of both worlds.

If you are at a gym that competes both USAG and AGA you might see if they will let you compete in both. It might cost a bit more but could give you the best of both worlds.

The problem with this is i would be competeing level 7 usag in the spring whilst the aga season is in place

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back