Trampoline mental block type thing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Before i started gym i was doing front layouts, front saults, back tuck, back layout, back layout half twist and a whole lot more easily on my home trampoline but now after starting gym i am having issues with backwards flipping on tramp (apart from layouts. This is rather odd as i am quite advanced in backwards tumbling for my level (level 4 and doing level 5/6 tumbling passes) and i am fine in my round off flip sault and i will tuck easily and get a lot of height. It is starting to get to me and i know its because i feel scared about travelling backwards but only on the trampoline i am fine on floor. the only incident i could put this down to is when i did a back sault that was very long and i fell of flat on my back on grass. i don't consciously think about that incident. what i find odd is that its only on tramp and i can flip backwards fine on floor anyone else experienced anything like this??? its really annoying when people ask me to do a flip on tramp and i can't because i subconsciously am scared of it (i think) any suggestions? have you experienced it?

I havn't but my friend who is a level sick can do tumbling passes on the ground but when it comes to tramp she has a break down and has trouble even just jumping on it let alone back saulting.

Is the trampoline raised off the ground? You are probably getting so much height that it would be easy to fall off the tramp doing anything easier than a layout. At my gym we have a very bouncy trampoline set into the ground, a less bouncy but smaller one set into the ground, and a long TumbleTrak tramp raised off of the ground.

I used to be afraid to do any front tumbling and anything back tumbling involving height (I could do handsprings and standing tucks) on the really bouncy one because one of my friends went flying and landed on her face. She was okay. I was scared. We put an 8-inch mat on one side of the trampoline so I tumble toward it in case I overshoot the tramp. Now I'll try some front tumbling without the crash mat.

So you could try putting mats around the tramp. Also, it could be that because the equipment is different from what you're used to, you're having a hard time adjusting - that'll just take time and practice.

yea my trampoline is raised and i think you must be right because i am scared of getting to much power and flying off and a back layout sort of i guess takes the power i have so i won't over rotate also i just realised that it is only on my home trampoline that i am scared so i think its the height and as its at home i don't have the mats to put around it.

at least now i know where the fear is from. i never realised that i could develop a fear from just a change in environment.

and GymnasticsOBSESSED thats really interesting bout your friend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back