Coaches Tucked preflight of a FHS vault on Table?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
My level 3s are starting to vault on the horse this month.

They all have wonderful Level 3 vaults scoring between 9.3 and 9.65.

One athlete (9.5 last meet) is vaulting on the table by herself already, and she actually has a pretty good block, but she's tucking on her preflight and then kicking out. I think she thinks this is how she is blocking. I mean, she KNOWS what blocking is and how to do it, but I think she thinks by tucking she gets more power. After the block, she's pretty clean.

I've brought her back down to the mat setup, where she does a beautiful preflight each time. When we move back to table, here comes the tuck again. Thoughts?

Figure it this way. If you do a skill like a layout on floor with to little speed from your round off back handspring, you'll make some kind of adjustment that isn't a part of the layout. Maybe you'll pike down, whip back, or do it with an extremely open tucked position.

The point is this...... The kid would be doing something else if you got her to straighten her legs because you can't do everything when the run, hurdle, and punch aren't providing the height, rotation, and distance a nicely blocked handspring requires.

So take your pick from this menu of "evils":

Work solely on the run, hurdle, and punch..... Hmmm, what are you gonna have her do when she leaves the board with too much energy to rebound to her feet, but not enough to do a "proper" handspring.

Work the run, hurdle, and punch while she modifies (tucks) the handspring until her speed, power, and energy get to where they need to be?

Trash the notion of blocking because straightening her legs will be too hard, but blocking will somehow return with improvements in power.

My choice would be the second one. I've used it for years as a transition from running and punching into a rebound to a stand on a stack. It gets them upside down and lets me focus on their run, and them on their block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back