WAG What's your gym's policy on gym shorts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
What about wearing tank tops or training with just a sports bra and shorts? My gym pretty much says leotard and only leotard, fine you can wear shorts. :)

We can wear pretty much what ever we want as long as its tight fitting. In the summer months it is just to hot to where a leotard so we see lots of crop tops and shorts and leotards with shorts are the norm except for training session before comp where its no shorts and only leotard in our club training leotard

At my gym we have to wear a leotard (no crop tops or sports bras), and we can wear spandex shorts over our leos unless it's the week before a meet.
But when I go to camps it seems like most gyms don't ever wear shorts over their leos. One girl told me they weren't allowed to because their coach thinks it will make them become fat...? /:

I don't, along with most of my gym, ever wear shorts. I think shorts just make people self conscious in competition when you have to take them off. And also they sometimes can make you look like you have love handles lol.

My dd's gym is a leo only gym, no shorts. In the winter, the girls can wear tights & Under Armour tight fitting type shirts because the coach does not put the heat much higher than about 65.

At dd's gym they can wear shorts if they want, but the USAG-JO girls can only wear the spandex ones made for gymnastics over their leotards. Most of them just wear the leos though.

At my gym on the USAG team, leos and shorts. Only the spandex tight fitting ones.
On the Rec. AAU Team pretty much everyone wears a leo and you can wear whatever shorts. A lot of girls will wear the tight fitting spandex ones but some opt for soffe type shorts.

We can wear pretty much what ever we want as long as its tight fitting. In the summer months it is just to hot to where a leotard so we see lots of crop tops and shorts and leotards with shorts are the norm except for training session before comp where its no shorts and only leotard in our club training leotard

Same here.

For the no shorts gyms, what is the reason. We have a gym near us where the girls are only allowed to wear shorts if they have their period. My daughter told me if she went there she would never wear them because then everyone would know! It does seem a little odd, I mean girls are very self conscious at that age.

Our gym doesn't have AC, and we have 10-15 fans spread out in summer, but leo's and shorts. Our gym used to be leo's only and if you have your period, you can wear shorts, but somebody did a petition against that for the very reason that maryRS wrote and then they changed it so all the girls were more self-conscious.
In winter, we can wear anything tight-fitted like under armor, tights, and even our a sweatshirt/jacket and sweat/yoga pants for warm-ups and conditioning since it gets pretty cold in there if your not sweaty and flipping your heart out!

Our rec kids can wear whatever, pre-team and team wear mostly leo's and about half the girls wear shorts over them. A few weeks before competitions they all stop wearing shorts to get used to it. My little one constantly picks at her shorts when she wears them, so after a couple times of going in and swiping them off her during practice, we just skip them now. There's been a couple leo's I've wanted to swipe too, but I controlled myself. ;-) Is it just me or is it highly annoying watching your kid practice and constantly pulling and tugging on her leo because it rides up.

The rec girls are even allowed to wear t-shirts at our gym! But the team girls cannot wear shorts, tank tops, or even underwear (I think that's a little too far...). Only leotards.

Rec kids can wear any stretchy clothing (basically just no jeans). Competitive wears leo only, no shorts unless you talk to your coach and you need to wear them for whatever reason, most don't have any reason though because most of the girls are young and have no reason.
As to why, to be comfortable in just a leo during competitions, change as little as possible from competition to training.

Our gym must be a leo gym shorts if they are black or dark navy no crazy colors or designs or rhinestones. Shorts only for Optional levels.

We allow our athletes to wear gym shorts...the little velvet ones.

No, training in a sports bra is not allowed. Firstly, we compete trampoline & that would be a MAJOR trampoline burn. I can't even...ow. Second, spotting. Sweaty skin is slick. Non sweaty skin is kind of sticky. Neither is exactly optimal.

We can live with tank tops but would prefer leos.

We're allowed to wear shorts over our leos, or to wear shorts with a sports bra (like a two-piece leo, but less expensive) during summer. During the winter, we can wear tight leggings for the whole practice if we like, over the leo, and sweatshirts/pants for warm-up if we're cold.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back