Anon Competitions and Periods

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (1f6e)

I have my state meet soon and I think I might get my period on that day. I’ve never gotten my period at practice/meets, and under my leotard don’t usually wear underwear. I’m very afraid of wearing tampons, and my gym does not allow shorts for competitions. I don’t have any liners, and whenever I wear underwear underneath a Leo it shows, since my Leo is a bit too small for me.

If I do get my period on that day (which I hope I don’t) what do you suggest I do??

All feedback appreciated <33

I've noticed that at some of our comps some of the older girls wear shorts - I know one girl from our old gym did that when she had her period. That might be an option for you. Not sure what the comp rules are where you are.

I think tampons are the easiest option. But there are also menstrual cups and other options you could look into.

You could also try to find period underwear that matches your skin tone or you bottom of your leotard (better bet if your leotard is black to get black underwear because finding them in any skin tone is tricky).

Our girls have used Thinx thongs under their leos and found success with that.

I think there have been a few threads on here already that you can try and read for ideas. Other than that, here are a few options. You can decide for yourself what you're comfortable with and what's allowed for your region. These are just some thoughts, so do with them whatever you like.

- Wearing underwear with pads and skin coloured tights under the leo. The tights should stop your underwear or pads from poking out, while still keeping the look the coaches want.
- Wearing underwear with pads and hoping for the best.
- Talking to your coach (ideally well before the competition). I think the more you say, the more likely the coach is to give in I expect but you have to choose what you're comfortable sharing. It can range from "I have to wear shorts for medical/female reasons" to "I'm on my period" to "I'm on my period and I can't wear tampons" or even adding "so the other option is bleeding through my leotard and I worry they'll take a deduction for that".
- Talking to your parents or a trusted adult. They can also help you talk to your coach, then can help stand up for you. And they may just have generally good ideas that you've not thought of.
- Wearing tampons anyway. I would advise you to only do this if you're okay with it. Like, if your concerns about it are "it's scary" or "it's expensive" or such, then I say maybe try it. But if you're not okay with doing it, I would say don't let anybody force you. Just my thoughts on this...

For the long term, something to take into consideration is how often this may occur again and if you can solve it. In theory, in the long term there are ways to control when you get your period via medicine, but those shouldn't be taken too lightly. If you're a high level athlete, it might be something to ask your doctor about, but then it should be because its the right call for you and not because your gym doesnt respect your autonomy to wear shorts.

(Personally if the coach isn't accommodating I'd be tempted to be super blunt about it. He's causing the issue, so he's not gonna have to face the reality of it. But I have little patience for no shorts allowed attitudes to begin with)

Some other threads you could look at:

(OP) thank you all for the tips!! I will be trying Thinx underwear with pads (thankfully the bottom of my comp. Leo is black) and if that dosent work will try tampons :}.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back