Parents 09 Judges Cup L7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alright, my first video post, so bear with me.

This is my 2nd year L7 13yo from a meet she attended a couple of weeks ago. Just figure I'd share a bit more about myself and my daughter.

Judges Cup is not a big meet ordinarily around here. I think because of the JO optional requirement changes this year, it just seemed like a far tougher meet. I have already expressed my view in these changes, so I'll spare you my comments on that.

As you can tell, form is not her strong suit but she has come a long way. Even though she showed many improvements, this was not her best performance based on what I have seen in the gym. But, we'll take it.

On vault, her block (repulsion - push off of the table) was strong but it was past vertical and she arched early. That caused a big 0.3-0.35 deduction.

On her bars (her strongest), her cast handstands are normally perfectly vertical but they missed by about 20 degs. The clear hip handstand came out well (with feet apart 2X for a small deduction). The clearhip/HS/giant/giant combination was her first time doing it at a meet. Higher handstands and a more graceful dismount could have won that event for her. But, 2nd place isn't bad.

On beam, well that was a pleasant surprise. Again, not as strong as she could have done but she had good flow, posture and poise. Still, lots of form related deductions. Luckily for her, all others in her age group made more mistakes than she did.

On floor, in the middle of the routine she forgot her dance sequence (hence the long pause while she repositioned herself). Immediately following that because of the previous mistake she forgot what to do after the front tumbling pass (another long pause). Of course, she insisted before the meet that the recent tweaks to her routine would not affect her at a meet. Guess who is right again? Floor has always been her worse event. Even though she messed up, this routine looked many times better than last year's performances. When compared to the top score of 9.0, 8.8 wasn't that bad I suppose.

The biggest shocker was the all around placement. <36 isn't high enough for a win typically. She for a while didn't even think she would be placed at all due to the mistakes she realized. OTOH, I knew she would place but was hoping for a top 5 spot. None of us were expecting her name to be called out last. Needless to say, she was pretty pleased with the results.

All in all, a good meet with lots of stuff to bring home to work on. Hope you guys enjoyed the video and vimeo worked out well for you.

Last edited:
Our video debute on CB

I don't know how the video post came out or whether I have wasted a post here. Anyhow, here is my video that I just uploaded along with some comments. Let me know if you have trouble viewing it and/or how you think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I merged them as you did a great job! But your video is private and we cannot view it!! C'mon I know you wanna share!

Alright Bog, I'm showing my illiteracy again. How would I change the setting to non-private?

---
FOLLOW UP: dummy me, I just changed the vimeo setting. Now it's public. It's good to go.

Last edited:
Great job, I love the judges critique as it gives tangible stuff to work on. I love her bars, she is very strong htere and she really suits her floor routine. That beam mount is so simple, but very effective, I can see us stealing it in the future!!!

Very nice!!! So nice to get to "see" your daughter in action. Her bars were nice and if she usually gets her HSs vertical, watch out NY!! Beam was very nice, too. Love her floor. The music is great and it seems like she likes her music and routine. Vault looked good to me, I never get what the judges see. :) Thanks so much for sharing with us!! She is a lovely gymnast. Looks like she is going to have a great season!

Nice that you get judges comments too! I didn't see a hugely long pause on floor--she did a great job :)

Regarding her floor, the pauses were at 2:42-2:47 then again at 2:50-2:53 in the video. I don't think the judges took off much for the missteps (even though I think they have seen it before) because most routines have about the same amount of pauses designed in.

The choreographer is a pro dancer for Cirque du Soleid and she used to be one of the best gymnasts in the Northeast until she got injured at L9. Because she thought much of my daughter's dance skills (who used to be a competitive dancer also), she got very overly aggressive with the skills and her dance. She threw in lots of tap steps - my daughter's specialty (did anyone notice that uniqueness in the routine?) and circus elements such as chest rolls etc. Throughout last season, my kid struggled with the gym elements due to the fast pace. After seeing what others were only doing, the coaches and we decided that it was best to rework the number to allow her to catch her breaths before her tumblings. So, the dance that you're seeing here has been watered down by about a third. The part that she messed up here was a pose series following by a fast tap sequence. So, instead, she stood in the corner and repaced and repositioned herself repeatedly with the arms.

VERY nice routine! I'm so happy to have been able to see your DD do her routines. Bars were awesome... and I agree with a previous poster re: the pause on floor... it really wasn't all that long!! Regarding missteps... I didn't even notice them. That's what's so nice about optionals... they're not coutning every little step and hand flip! HA! Beam was great and so was vault. Looks like she's off to a fantastic season!

Thanks for sharing your video! Her bars are awesome! I really enjoyed her floor routine! Very creative choreography! I bet she rocks this season!

congrats! how did you get the judges' comments? that helps a lot!
In our state, the Judges Cup is seen as the unofficial opener for the season where a lot of smiles are dished out. In fact, at this meet, one of the judges went out of his way to call out every gymnast's name before her routine (until he lost interest). That's a very nice gesture I thought.

For the gymnasts, critiques are provided based on their performances. That is why our gym makes it a point to have all optionals to attend. For the compulsories, it's a very relaxing meet.

To the judges, it's a fund raiser for the judging body (whatever that's called) where all the judges donate their time.

I think something similar is run in other states. It's supposed to rotate from one location to the next every season.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back