Parents 10.0 LSU College Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She is the daughter and granddaughter of pastors, I suspect most likely Methodist Episcopal. It's a religious tradition with which many white Americans are unfamiliar. Her floor routines very much invoke the spirit of these religious practices. When I watch her, I see joyous praise of God.

Jaw drops.

Mod hat on though. Lets try to steer this away from religion as we try not to do that, or politics, here as the debates are not our thing at all.

Thanks for understanding.

Last edited:
I was raised in an Episcopal Church and my husband's grandmother is a Methodist minister....I've never seen "moves like that" at church, mostly a bunch of old white folks singing hymns... :)

Mod hat still on....

....and back to the routine discussion please people. No more religion or I will close this down.

I do too, in FIG there are deductions for suggestive movements. I have never liked *** wiggling routines for kids.

When my dd got her optionals routine I told the choreographer there would be no chest or butt shaking going on. LOL And even now 2 years later when I watch college gymnastics with my girls they are horrified with how much of that, and crawling around all sexy on the floor there is. it makes them and me uncomfortable.

When my dd got her optionals routine I told the choreographer there would be no chest or butt shaking going on. LOL And even now 2 years later when I watch college gymnastics with my girls they are horrified with how much of that, and crawling around all sexy on the floor there is. it makes them and me uncomfortable.
The routine is not my style but somehow it fits her. And her tumbling is amazing.

she is for sure a power house, but i do not like that style of dance anywhere. i am turned off by this routine.
i suppose i'm starting to show my age!

I went back and watched it again in case I had missed something. I don't think it's raunchy, and I think I have a fairly low "raunch" tolerance. Went to NCAA regionals at PSU last weekend and what I love about college floor routines are that they are so high energy. They really play to the crowd and to the judges. Most of them are grinning from ear to ear. I'm sure some of it is just part of the performance, but they sure look like they're having a blast. This one is no exception.

That said, there were a few moves I saw last weekend... One I saw several times... Propped up on arms, facing up, "walking" legs back and forth over each other... to me it looked like more of a stripper move than anything.

This routine though? Unique, for sure, and not a twerk to be found! ;)

Wow, I just don't see anything overtly sexual about her routine and I am quite sensitive about that kind of stuff. But because of her build she could probably WALK across the floor in a leo and some would see it as sexual. I think she terrific! :)

I agree. I went backa nd watched her again. She isn't shaking her bum or chest, she doesn't really do much that is "sexy". I think her "style" is one you either like or don't like, but I don't find it raunchy.

I agree that some moves the girls do...in general...can be borderline.

I didn't like it, guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy, or um....goodie two shoes....or um.....old fashioned....or um whatever you want to call it.....just didn't like it.

It's just too "stagey" for me. It's a show.

From one point of view, I do like it. Amazing tumbling, entertaining, good fun. But I like it as an exhibition piece, the show part seems to overwhelm the point- the gymnastics.

I wouldn't like to see this sort of routine in a "normal" or FIG comp. We should be judging to select the kid who's gymnastics is best, not the one most capable of playing the crowd.

As an aside, she's not your usual gymnast build is she? Makes me think if she can do moves like that, why are we almost exclusively selecting the skinny little kids for elite? Or do her other apparatus not match up skill wise because of her strength:weight?

I just like that it fits her. Can you imagine her trying to do a ballet routine?!?! No one would go for it with her build. I think of she did a traditional hip hop type routine THEN you would have all the suggestive moves that tends to go with the music.

you know, what i'm almost ashamed to admit….i went back and watched it, too and i think what actually made me uncomfortable (that's not really the word i'm going for, but can't think of another right now) wasn't actually so much provocativeness.

instead, i think the movements and positions weren't as [stereotypically] feminine as i'm used to seeing. it was way more "bad ***"! LOL.

I am not saying it's good, bad, or whatever. I am simply pointing out that much of her dance derives from a particular style of religious expression in the black community. Not debating, just pointing out a relevant cultural fact that people do not know. I'm sure there's someone out there who does a floor routine incorporating Irish stepdancing or grapevining from a hora, and it would be understandable if people unfamiliar with it would not recognize it as such.

I am sorry that I offended people by posting a link with religious content.

I didn't think it was in anyway raunchy or sexual - I've certainly seen more suggestive floor routines - like Danusia francis's latest to 'feeling good' which actually I prefer. I'm still getting my head round college meets - there's certainly a lot more whooping and noise than any competitions I've been to here in the uk!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the routine. Yes it's not "standard" but as we all know, change can be good. I find floor routines start to look a bit samey after a while, it takes something like this to stand out.

Take Claudia Fragapane at the British, she had break dance style moves in her routine, it stuck out but it suited her style. And as others have said, Lloimincia's routine suits her style.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but you can't please everyone :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back