2 questions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancesterx3

1. What is an ideal breakfast, lunch and snack for all day practices. I usually train from 9am to 4pm with an hour lunch break, and I was wondering what are some good Right now, I'm eating a bowl of special K cereal with yogurt and some milk. For Lunch I usually have a healthy choice meal and water and I usually don't eat a snack between lunch (which usually around 1) and dinner (usually around 6:30/7) I know I should but I don't know what to eat. I'm kind of a picky eater and I don't like certain veggies. I don't mind celery, broccoli, as long as I have ranch dressing (which of course isn't good for you) and I like apples but only with caramel dip.

2. During my tumbling practice my wrists hurt a lot, I know they are fairly weak. Should I tape my wrists, would that actually help? I looked into tiger paws but they're SO expensive and I just don't have that kind of extra money. Does anyone have any cheaper Ideas to help support my wrists so they don't hurt during tumbling?

Eating health is the best bet no matter what sports you do. However there are tons of sites out there with healthy eating diets for gymnastics this is just one of them Sample Diets for Gymnasts

You should have a DR. look at your wrists just to make sure there isn't something really wrong with them other than common gymnastic issues. With that said if your DR recommends them The Tiger Paws (or something like them ) usually eases the issues of wrist pain. They may seem expensive but once you have them they are well worth what you spend on them. Ten.o has them ranging from $11 - $36. the cheaper ones are just a wrist support where the $36 are like the tiger paws (mh DD has these and they are very good). They are on sale right now so maybe ask your mom about getting a pair she might spring the money for them if she knows you need them.

Gymnastics & Cheelrleading Wrist Supports

1. Dinner. I dont feel like eating dinner either. So I usually have to wait til around 8ish to eat after gym.

2. yes. Tape your wrists, or ask your coach to. If they tape them properly then it will help. and if it doesn't, you need to tell your coach.

So what would be the best way to tape up your wrist so it helps and doesn't cut the circulation?

The problem with forking out $30 for tiger paws is i don't know how long i will be doing this. I don't want to invest in something I may only use for one season. The only other option I can think of is selling them if i don't use them again.

Answering the wrist portion of this query...barring any unforeseen medical condition please do the following wrist stretches...

YouTube - Wrist Stretching presented by stretchsport.com

However, you may be suffering from ganglion cysts or the first stages. Wrist stretching usually brings this condition under control. Please check with a physician.

So what would be the best way to tape up your wrist so it helps and doesn't cut the circulation?

The problem with forking out $30 for tiger paws is i don't know how long i will be doing this. I don't want to invest in something I may only use for one season. The only other option I can think of is selling them if i don't use them again.

Then instead of the tiger paw type supports go for the simple $11 ones. it is a wrap just around the wrist and doesn't go on to the hand at all. My son used that when he had wrist issues for tumbling. You don't have to order those type either most pharmacies have that type for sale.

these ones are at walgreens

38225002300_220x220_a.jpg
these ones are only $7

38225522300_220x220_a.jpg
This is the one my son used. Not exactly a tiger paw but looked very similar and it worked for him and at $7 each ($14 for 2) it was very affordable.

I didn't think about pharmacy over the counter wrist supports, and they worked well for your son? I will look into those. Thank you.

Answering the wrist portion of this query...barring any unforeseen medical condition please do the following wrist stretches...

YouTube - Wrist Stretching presented by stretchsport.com

However, you may be suffering from ganglion cysts or the first stages. Wrist stretching usually brings this condition under control. Please check with a physician.

I had a gangleatic cyst on my wrist for over a year and a half.For the first few months it really hurt and then it was just kind of there,no pain or anything.About a month or 2 ago I got new grips and our gym got a new strap bar. The buckles on both were alot tighter the before and when I was on the strap bar I felt a pinch and KABOOM!I got off the bar and my cyst was gone!!

Just a little story I felt like telling :)

You must know I like story time... :) Though did it hurt when it went away? I don't know if it's a cyst, there may be a possibility of carpal tunnel.. But i didn't really look into it. It only hurts when I put pressure on it. So doing things like walk overs, bridges, pushovers, handsprings, etc. Otherwise there's no pain. No inflamation or anything.

I didn't think about pharmacy over the counter wrist supports, and they worked well for your son? I will look into those. Thank you.

Yes they worked just fine for him. they don't have the insert like the tiger paws but he used the black ones I posted earlier that went around his tumb and then you tightly wrap the rest around the wrist and secure with the velcro. He used them on floor and pommal and he said they did the worked just fine for him.

1. What is an ideal breakfast, lunch and snack for all day practices. I usually train from 9am to 4pm with an hour lunch break, and I was wondering what are some good Right now, I'm eating a bowl of special K cereal with yogurt and some milk. For Lunch I usually have a healthy choice meal and water and I usually don't eat a snack between lunch (which usually around 1) and dinner (usually around 6:30/7) I know I should but I don't know what to eat. I'm kind of a picky eater and I don't like certain veggies. I don't mind celery, broccoli, as long as I have ranch dressing (which of course isn't good for you) and I like apples but only with caramel dip.

My six year old might eat 3x the calories you are describing above ... Are you maintaining weight and energy levels?

My six year old might eat 3x the calories you are describing above ... Are you maintaining weight and energy levels?
Usually I get tired around the mid afternoon, especially after practice, but I thought that was because I usually fall asleep really late sometimes not till 2 am, and get up around 10 because now I have practice from 11 till 1 (Thankfully camp is over and we're back to a lighter workout schedule) Like I just got done with practice and about to head home for lunch and a nap. The problem is that once school starts again I'm going to have no time for afternoon naps. I know I am probably under eating. But i really don't know what to eat that isn't considered a junk food, but still somewhat tasty. I found this one snack that may sound weird but it actually is kind of good, it's graham crackers dipped in apple sauce, I know that sounds weird, but it's good. lol. I'm not out to really lose weight or anything I just want to make sure I'm eating well without over eating. I know some of the girls in my gym will have stuff like McDonalds for lunch. I just dont know how they eat that and not gain weight.

1. breakfast: have a bowl of cereal like you are doing, and a slice of peanut butter toast, and an apple or orange, along with a tall glass of milk.
lunch: have a big salad or wrap or sub, along with an apple and a tall glass of orange juice.
supper: have something like fish, or chicken, or something high in protein, with another large class of orange juice, and a fruit or vegetable of your choice.

2. Yes, you could try getting your coach to tape your wrists, but when I used to have really bad wrists, my coach made me take a broom, and tie a weight to a skipping rope and around the broom, making sure the rope hangs down with the weight at the bottom. From there, you twist your wrist upwards until the weight is touching the broom stick, and then back down 20 times a day. I never had wrist problems again.

Thanks for the menu, but i don't understand the broom/weight thing, can you video tape it for me, or see if you can find an example of it on youtube? :) Thanks!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back