Parents A delicate matter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

leotardmakermum

Proud Parent
I've been umming and aahhing about posting this. It's rather delicate, but its something I wonder about. I do apologise if it is right on the edge of what is appropriate, but for me it is a real area of concern! I'm sure if it is too delicate that a moderator will remove it. And I offer my apologies if that is the case.

I'm wondering about treatments for bikini lines... :eek: My daughter is still young, but one day she will get to the point where this is an issue. For me, its something I've never really done well with!

What are the options? Personally, I have tried shaving (leaves an awful rash...!), home waxing (ouch), and depilatory creams (a little useless). I hate the idea of using "professional services" as I don't like spending money on that sort of thing, especially on a regular basis. I also don't like the idea of my little girl (though she won't be so little when this becomes an issue!) being put through pain for such an area of vanity.

For the professional services, how long do they "last" before they are needed again? Just being practical, when she's doing 30 hours of training a week on top of school work, that'll be just another thing to squeeze into her schedule...

I just feel completely out of my depth in this, but maybe I'm stressing unnecessarily. I feel for single dads and wonder how they must deal with all things delicately feminine... :(

(On another matter completely, does anyone else find the prefixes that you have to choose for a new post extremely limiting? I often find there is no really suitable category for placing a post - such as for this post. Maybe that means it's inappropriate??)

Laser hair removal works well with the right hair and skin coloring. If my kid wanted to do that for the convenience and for athletics, I'd be fine with that.

delicate yes if we make it so. it is NORMAL! And obv just one of those things to matter of factly deal with. Short sleeved Leo - certain age - get rid of pit hair too. Just what any girl would do.
dd shaves
as did swimming dd.
not actually an issue here!

Shaving, just like you would for a swim suit. No biggie. Just use plenty of soap or shaving cream or whatever to prevent razor burn.

The question is perfectly fine, we all have to deal with the issue, even some mail gymnasts shave and wax their bodies for esthetic reasons. I think discussed like this the topic is a good one. Galadriel is correct shaving works, waxing is another good option.

Thank you for starting this topic! It is important and I'm so glad we are discussing it.

I'm like the OP... shaving would not work for me...not sure about my daughter yet and she's not there but I can see it being a problem for her, too.

I have to get waxed and if that's what my daughter needs I will take her to do it. No, it's not fun, no it's not pleasant, and yes it costs money. But it's also a fact of life and we live in a beach community and she's going to be in a bathing suit all summer as well so she needs to be comfortable.

As a gymnast this is an important issue, she will be wearing leotards most days of the week, every week. Shaving and waxing just won't cut it.

Remington LumaSmooth IPL Hair Removal Epilator Reviews Australia www.remington-products.com.au

one of these will do the job.
Thank you for posting this! Just recently my dd has had to start dealing with the bikini line. We did shaving, waxing, and now most recently we have used Nair shower formula with good results. But this product looks good!

delicate yes if we make it so. it is NORMAL! And obv just one of those things to matter of factly deal with. Short sleeved Leo - certain age - get rid of pit hair too. Just what any girl would do.
dd shaves
as did swimming dd.
not actually an issue here!

Galadriel, the only reason why this is a delicate matter is because we are in public on the internet. While most of us are here for the right reasons, no doubt some on this board are not. This discussion could rapidly head south in the wrong hands. I have given my permission for the moderators to immediately delete the thread should they see fit. Not that they need my permission, but I was acknowledging to them as the original poster I was well aware that it could go badly wrong.

It doesn't hurt at all. I have had one for a year, it is totally pain free and I wish I discovered it years ago.

I have found that I get less razor burn/bumps if I shave in the direction that the hair grows rather than in the opposite direction like I would for my legs. You do need a sharp blade, and lots of good lubrication (moisturizing shaving cream or even hair conditioner). It's probably not as close a shave as you'd get if you shaved the normal way (opposite) and it won't last as long, but it's not nearly as irritating.

^^^ What she said. Shaving against the grain just does not work on some areas. Also, if your DD's gym allows shorts for practice, that would solve the problem. She'd only have to wax or do some other painful procedure for meets. (I'm a wimp. Just the thought of wax makes me cringe.)

If you pull the skin very tight it helps with razor rash.

im sure they'll all manage. From what I remember we wore bar shorts, so it wasn't necessary to keep totally on top of it (when would they get time to go to a salon!), so razor burn wasn't as issue if you were only shaving once a week or so.

im more worried about the current teenage trend for Hollywood/Brazilian styles. It's getting to the point that female body hair is increasingly being thought of as "nasty" :confused:

I find that dabbing on some neosporin after shaving the bikini area helps calm things down and prevent redness or irritation down there. My dd doesn't deal with it yet and wears shorts to gym anyway. It would just be for meets that we would have to worry about it. Until then I will pretend it isn't coming and quit thinking about it! she doesn't even shave her legs yet, but she is 12 and will likely want to start that soon. Why must they grow up?

Wow! I never knew such a thing existed! I've been using a tweezer-style epilator or strip wax on legs and underarms, but only cream on bikini line (for wearing swimsuits, not leotards!) I've found this cream is great for soothing the skin after hair removal: Lucas Papaw
Hair removal is an ongoing nuisance. Luckily DD is young and doesn't need to worry about it yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back