A different way to make those competition curls? Hair friendly/no heat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Okay, well, we had been talking about how the girls were going to wear their hair, or how they had in the past. Some of the more seasoned moms said something about a sock bun. That, that is what they do, and it makes beautiful curls that last. So I went on youtube to see what my wandering eye could find..and this is what I found. Def. looks easy, and worth a shot. Anyone esle do this?
[video=youtube;3FV-YO46E8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y[/video]

Very impressive. I just cut my hair, it may have worked before I cut 5 inches off. Let us know if you try it.

The girls don't want the old fashioned buns anymore. They are looking for cool new dos. Also the feeling of all your hair on top of your head can be not so pleasant to many girls.

We do spider webs on top and then split he pony tail into several braids then tuck their ends under the pony tail.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I've never seen this before, but I have a competition coming up on the 19th and i think I'll try it out!!
I'll let you all know how it goes.

Our gym likes the girls with a bun or with corkscrew curls. I'm not sure if the sock bun would be curly enough or not so very interested in seeing pics of a gymnast whose done it for a meet. Right now we use foam rollers and hairspray and my dd sleeps overnight in the curlers. We take them out right before the meet.

Well the hair is pretty but long hanging hair like that can be dangerous at least I think so. It can get caught in equipmet under your hands when tumbling and whip around your face so you can't see. for my DD its always up in a bun so she doesn't have to worry about it. This year it might just be a pony tail as she has cut it to just past shoulder haven't tried putting it up yet.

DD doesn't like any hair distractors

My dd has to do the tight bun, too, but she loved the sock bun idea for dance class/training. It went in really quick and worked without hairpins. We tried it to do curls with, and it did make some. But we've discovered if u want really corkscrew curly hair to use curlformers. They make awesome curls. Dd says they are harder to sleep in than the sock bun, though.

Ok, so it kinda worked. Some of my hair fell out during the night and didn't curl, but the ones that did looked pretty nice. I can't say how long they would last because I brushed them out (can't head off to school with half a head of curls :p) but if I could get all my hair to stay in I think it would work pretty well.

Okay so my dd has hair that is super long (like down to her butt) so doing her hair for meets is always an issue. And, I must add that its not thin hair, its super thick hair that has a little bit of curl to it. Pony tails do not work and if I do a braid, the braid is also too long. So far, for her meets this year, I've done either cornrows (4 or 5 in the front) just to the crown of her head then I put it in a pony tail and put curlers in the pony tail. Or two french braids just to the crown with the pony and curlers. When I put the curlers in, we use the soft ones called "wrap snap and go." You can find them at Sally's Beauty Supply. You get like 15 in a package and this will suffice for my DD's hair. Usually we do this after my DD's bath so her hair is wet. It is important, especially with super thick hair, that it is somewhat dry when you do this, or else the hair is still wet in the morning and the curls do not work as well. Its is also very important to treat the curls with some kind of gel or super hold hair spray. Spray or gel each section of hair before rolling it up in the curlers.

When I take the hair out in the AM, she has pretty spiral curls in her hair and because even these are usually too long for her to compete with, I pin them to her head with bobby pins. So she has like a pretty pin-curl do that usually stays in for the whole meet. I also finish it with spray and send her with extra bobby pins in case one or two come out.

DSCN1457.jpg
Here is a reference.... I think you can click for a bigger size!

Here is a reference.... I think you can click for a bigger size!

Wow! Beautiful! That's a lot of hair! My DD has super-long hair too, but it's so fine. When it's down, it looks like she has so much hair, but then, when I put it up into a bun, it's this teeny little bun. But then, it's exactly the same as my hair, so I know how to deal with it. My other DD has coarser, thicker hair and when winter sets in and the weather gets dry it stands up all over her head. All I know to do is put in some smoothing goop and hope it stays down. Her hair is also super short because she takes ballet and is firmly anti-bun. If we let it go and it starts to grow out, her ballet teacher starts talking about how she almost has enough for a nice little bun and then it's off to see Pauline for another pixie cut!

competition curls with no heat

I haven't done this for gymnastics competition but I have used this technique for formal updos and dance pictures/recital. You can do it with simple pony tails, as well. With dry, clean hair, put your hair up the way you want it. If you are doing an updo, I like to section the hair in multiple ponytails close together to get fullness. You decide if you want a cascading look (2 or 3 ponytail sections down the back of your head in a line) or a bunched/full look (2 to 4 ponytail sections in a cluster). With hair gel or curl cream of your choice, take a 1 inch section of hair, coat with gel, and wrap in foam curlers (like you would use for perms). Work until you get everything you want curled up. The gel all dries in about an hour or so or you can use the hair dryer on a cool setting to help it along. Once every curl is dry, take the rollers out and finger comb/pin as you like. You can set with hairspray if you like. The curls will stay in all day and make wonderful ringlets. I use this technique on my girls because they can't stand sleeping in curlers and one of them is allergic to most haircare products. The gel is nice because I make sure it never touches her skin or scalp. Hope this helps.

I am desperatly grasping for a hair style for Kadee. She has long hair..3/4 down her back. But it is super fine. Its hard to get it to stay in anything. She did grow her bangs out from last comp season so they can be pulled back into "whatever" also. Im just trying to find something for her hair that will work. If you leave just a plain pony in its too long and gets in her way on the floor and on bars/beam. I thought maybe with the curls it would draw it up (per say) and keep it from hanging down so long it got in her way.
Im half tempted to start another thread about hair styles for girls with really long, super fine hair. I know there are many threads out there about comp. hairstyles..but we arent supposed to dredge up old threads..but if I make a new one..then a bunch of people will talk about how many threads are already out there and link me back to them...and I wouldnt/shouldnt respond to those because they are too old. Im torn..lol

my DD did it and it made some curls but mostly a bushy mess. when she tied it back in a pony tail it just lookes like a bushy dish scrubber. Not impressed and anything that fell out over night didn't curl

I am desperatly grasping for a hair style for Kadee. She has long hair..3/4 down her back. But it is super fine. Its hard to get it to stay in anything. She did grow her bangs out from last comp season so they can be pulled back into "whatever" also. Im just trying to find something for her hair that will work. If you leave just a plain pony in its too long and gets in her way on the floor and on bars/beam. I thought maybe with the curls it would draw it up (per say) and keep it from hanging down so long it got in her way.
Im half tempted to start another thread about hair styles for girls with really long, super fine hair.

A couple of my teammates when I was competing had LOTS of LONG hair (like near their butt). For both practice and meets they would put it up in a pony, braid it, then loop the end of the braid through the pony, then secure the loop to their head with a 3" barrette. It stayed neat, and was quick and easy (compared to curls).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back