Parents sprained ankle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
Thursday night DD rolled her ankle when she jumped off of the beam. She was still walking on it, it only swelled a little. DS had recently fractured his ankle, so we have a brace (what they had him wear after he got the OK to stop wearing the boot). I had her wear the brace to school on Friday and she said it helped; but the ankle still hurt some. When she has ibuprofin it seems to really help; but wears off before the 8 hours are up. State meet was this weekend, she wore the brace for the drive down Friday and then all of Saturday morning. When we got to the competition I had her check in with the athletic trainer first. he said it is slightly sprained, that it is the ligaments that she is complaining about and doesn't seem to be the bone (which is what it has seemed to me. For DS it was always the bony part of the ankle, for DD it is the area around the bone; but the bone doesn't seem tender at all). The trainer taped the ankle up and said that it would still hurt; but shouldn't get injured any worse and that she should be OK to compete. Sunday we had her take it easy; but she was complaining more about it when she walked (with the brace on) than she had been the previous 2 days.

We got home from the competition last night and I tried DS's boot on her and she said that felt MUCH better. I had her wear it to school today and she said with it on it doesn't hurt at all.

I already have an appointment with her pediatrician on Wednesday for her normal checkup. Yesterday I had decided I'd try to get her in with an orthopedist today; but then DS got sick and is now home with a fever. :eek: Part of me is figuring that yeah... it is sprained. And if I take her to the ortho, they will put her in a boot. Or just say, leave her in the boot that she is in. Is it really worth dragging sick DS out to the ortho to get told to do what we are already doing? When her pediatrician opens I'm going to call and ask the nurse if they think I need to have her seen; but what would you do? Just leave her in the boot until Wednesday when we see her doc anyway? Or get her in today? The swelling seems to be gone and there is no bruising that I can see. the tenderness is in the area right under the outside ankle bone (she says, "right there in that 'smilie'" and draws a "u" along the side to under the bone). She also says it does not hurt enough that she would be willing to get a shot to make it feel better (that is often my litmus test for figuring out how much something hurts with the kids).

I am learning that with these guys, figuring out whether or not to take them in is the hardest part of an injury. I can't for the life of me figure out whether or not to take D in!

I think I would wait to see the ped on Wednesday. Can they do an xray there? Then you can see where you need to go next.

Thursday night DD rolled her ankle when she jumped off of the beam. She was still walking on it, it only swelled a little. DS had recently fractured his ankle, so we have a brace (what they had him wear after he got the OK to stop wearing the boot). I had her wear the brace to school on Friday and she said it helped; but the ankle still hurt some. When she has ibuprofin it seems to really help; but wears off before the 8 hours are up. State meet was this weekend, she wore the brace for the drive down Friday and then all of Saturday morning. When we got to the competition I had her check in with the athletic trainer first. he said it is slightly sprained, that it is the ligaments that she is complaining about and doesn't seem to be the bone (which is what it has seemed to me. For DS it was always the bony part of the ankle, for DD it is the area around the bone; but the bone doesn't seem tender at all). The trainer taped the ankle up and said that it would still hurt; but shouldn't get injured any worse and that she should be OK to compete. Sunday we had her take it easy; but she was complaining more about it when she walked (with the brace on) than she had been the previous 2 days.

We got home from the competition last night and I tried DS's boot on her and she said that felt MUCH better. I had her wear it to school today and she said with it on it doesn't hurt at all.

I already have an appointment with her pediatrician on Wednesday for her normal checkup. Yesterday I had decided I'd try to get her in with an orthopedist today; but then DS got sick and is now home with a fever. :eek: Part of me is figuring that yeah... it is sprained. And if I take her to the ortho, they will put her in a boot. Or just say, leave her in the boot that she is in. Is it really worth dragging sick DS out to the ortho to get told to do what we are already doing? When her pediatrician opens I'm going to call and ask the nurse if they think I need to have her seen; but what would you do? Just leave her in the boot until Wednesday when we see her doc anyway? Or get her in today? The swelling seems to be gone and there is no bruising that I can see. the tenderness is in the area right under the outside ankle bone (she says, "right there in that 'smilie'" and draws a "u" along the side to under the bone). She also says it does not hurt enough that she would be willing to get a shot to make it feel better (that is often my litmus test for figuring out how much something hurts with the kids).

just leave her in the boot the rest of the week. not necessary to take her in. :)

just leave her in the boot the rest of the week. not necessary to take her in. :)

haha dunno. That is odd.

OK, from the consensus here and talking to the nurse, I'm just doing the boot for now. On Wednesday the doctor will look at it and if I need to do something else, we'll make the call then.

She rolled it? Yeah, probably just wait until Wed. for the regular appointment and get an xray.
However, DD is currently in a cast from breaking her ankle (chipping the growth plate there? something of that nature). It swelled and only hurt under the ankle. And then it would only hurt if she "sickled" her foot, so she was actually walking on it the day I got the call that it was broken. The Xray was originally read as a sprain. So.....just be careful!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back