Parents A little disappointed...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi!! I am new to this forum and a mom new to this sport. I have one DD who turned 3 two months ago. When my DD turned 3 I signed her up for her first gymnastics class. After her second or third class, the coach told me that the gym offers a developmental class for very young gymnasts who have potential to join the team in the future. The developmental classes begin at 3 years old and are invitational only. The coach said that my DD has potential and should try out. She proceeded to tell me that DD would have to stay in her rec class a few more months because she is super rambunctious and needs to become more disciplined. That made perfect sense to me. Much to my surprise, the coach told me the very next week that DD could actually try out for the developmental team now- she didn't have to wait like I was originally told. Soooo DD tried out today and the coach of the developmental team told me that DD wasn't right for the class now, but to definitely come back in six months. She said since my DD was a very young (just turned) 3 years old, that she would benefit from a few more months of "fun" gymnastics. I completely understand, and the coach's rational seems perfectly acceptable.....but I can't help feeling a tad bit sad for DD. The girls in the developmental class were only a few months older than DD and they were doing amazing things, strength training things that my DD couldn't do at all. They could climb the rope to the top, while my DD could hardly get on it! The developmental class seemed MUCH more intense and structured than the rec class, so I have no idea how DD is going to improve enough in a few months to be invited to developmental team. Obviously I don't know what the coach is looking for, but it just seems like the rec classes don't prepare for the developmental class. Does anyone have advice on things I can do for DD to help her become more disciplined? Maybe private lessons? If you've read this far, thank you!! I appreciate any advice or thoughts from more "seasoned" gym parents :)

I don't think there is anything you need to do. She will get all the strength training and so on once she gets to the more serious class, so I wouldn't worry that she can't do those things yet. Just relax, she is only 3, she has plenty of time.

The coaches are right, honestly :)

Current research shows that most children, as long as they start gym by 7, will catch up to children who started earlier. SO if your child is destined to be level 6 by 8 years old, if they start at 7 they'll just progress much quicker than if they started at 5.

I know once that carrot has been dangled it's very hard not to obsess about missing chances and getting left behind, but start a child too young, the chances are they won't last long in the sport. No good starting at 3 if they've had enough by 8! That stretching and strength work hurts, and rapidly puts them off as at that age they can't see that it's benefitting their skills, they just want to learn cool stuff!

My DD was in rec from 2. Wasn't picked for pre-team until just after she turned 6. Moved to team a month after she turned 7. She was the last to join her group, and has caught up with all the kids who started at 5, and is keeping up that rate of progress where the others have slowed down. She's no phenomenal talent, just the later start has meant she's picked things up quicker. In fact, out of the original team group, theres only one left of the kids that started at 5 or younger, the rest have quit. So out of a bunch of kids who all have similar skills, one started younger than 5, one at 5, the rest all at 6 or older, and it's the later starters who are motivated and sticking with it.

So I'd let her have fun and let her learn to love gymnastics for a year or two. Save yourself the stress, and the time and money!

My dd started off in a preschool group before moving to a rec group when she started full time school. Some girls were moved to a development group at the age of four instead of going to a rec group. Most of the girls had quit within the year, some girls have not come back to any sort of gymnastics whilst some of come back to the rec group.

my dd wasn't given the chance to do development and even though I would love her to have been given the chance I am happy with how things are because who knows if she would still be involved in the sport or quit as she found it not to her liking. She is still is rec class and she says that she wants to learn more in gymnastics so we will see what happens after Christmas. At the moment she is excited as they are working on badges and she can't wait to go. She is near the end of her proficiency badge work (now on badge 3 with 2 more to go (they go from 7 down to 1)before she works on the advanced badges). My dd has just turned 6 and has been in rec for 1 year and per school gym for 1 and a half years.

Three is very young for structure training in my opinion. So long as she is learning to love the sport in her rec class she will have developed a passion and drive to improve when she gets to the development group.

makes no difference what anyone said at this point. she hasn't been there long enough for them to know jack about your daughter. and she's 3. just go and let her have fun. not going with the other group won't prevent her from going to the Olympics some day...:) (dunno puts face in hands...sigh)

Many mothers whose daughter is new in gymnastics have similar worries and concerns, actually even mothers who've been in the sport a few years. (I know I do). Take the wisdom offered in this forum by many mothers who've been on that road. At 3, your daughter is not missing out on any special training, the girls who are training higher than her do not have an unfair advantage, etc. In addition at 3, a few months difference in age is huge! She will get the skills whether she starts training at 3 or 4 or 5 and if she does not, it would not have mattered when she starts training.

I am sure the reason they want her to wait is to mature a bit. Being able to sit, listen, follow directions is important and very hard for 3 year olds. Hang on, she is not wasting or losing time in the rec class. FYI most kids when ready can learn to climb a rope in a month or two (or less). Hang in there and let her just have fun and grow her love for gymnastics, all too soon it turns serious.

I remember signing my twin daughters up for a "Mommy and Me" dance class for kids 3 and up. It started in January and they didn't turn 3 till February, but I talked the teacher into letting them participate (because, of course, MY almost-3-year-olds were VERY advanced for their age... ;) ). Quite frankly, it was a little bit embarassing. They couldn't sit still or follow directions or anything. We quit at the end of that one semester and didn't sign back up, though one of the girls did end up going back to dance when she was 5 (when her sister started gymnastics) and is still loving it. I know that, as a mom, it's hard to feel that your kid is missing out on something "better", but there's no benefit for anyone in her being in a class before she's ready to be there.

As MaryA says, barely 3 is awfully young for formal training in anything. My daughter's ballet school won't take them in the "learn to stand in line and be quiet" class until they are 3 1/2. But I totally understand your anxiousness to get your daughter started on the right path. I spent most of the past year experiencing the same anxiety with my daughter, who is now almost 6. For her the issue was strength, not focus, but it was still hard to be patient.

She's all of 3, right? I would be very skittish to put her in any "formal" class at this age, and would have a hard time believing someone that said she should be there....

Hi!! I am new to this forum and a mom new to this sport. I have one DD who turned 3 two months ago. When my DD turned 3 I signed her up for her first gymnastics class. After her second or third class, the coach told me that the gym offers a developmental class for very young gymnasts who have potential to join the team in the future. The developmental classes begin at 3 years old and are invitational only. The coach said that my DD has potential and should try out. She proceeded to tell me that DD would have to stay in her rec class a few more months because she is super rambunctious and needs to become more disciplined. That made perfect sense to me. Much to my surprise, the coach told me the very next week that DD could actually try out for the developmental team now- she didn't have to wait like I was originally told. Soooo DD tried out today and the coach of the developmental team told me that DD wasn't right for the class now, but to definitely come back in six months. She said since my DD was a very young (just turned) 3 years old, that she would benefit from a few more months of "fun" gymnastics. I completely understand, and the coach's rational seems perfectly acceptable.....but I can't help feeling a tad bit sad for DD. The girls in the developmental class were only a few months older than DD and they were doing amazing things, strength training things that my DD couldn't do at all. They could climb the rope to the top, while my DD could hardly get on it! The developmental class seemed MUCH more intense and structured than the rec class, so I have no idea how DD is going to improve enough in a few months to be invited to developmental team. Obviously I don't know what the coach is looking for, but it just seems like the rec classes don't prepare for the developmental class. Does anyone have advice on things I can do for DD to help her become more disciplined? Maybe private lessons? If you've read this far, thank you!! I appreciate any advice or thoughts from more "seasoned" gym parents :)

My advice is, she is 3, let her have fun! She has PLENTY of time for strength training and serious gymnastics! When they are that young they should just be having fun and learning basic things. I'm not a coach but I'm a mom and I think if they start being that serious that young they may get burnt out early and quit the sport because it isn't fun anymore. My daughter took rec class and had lots of fun till she turned 5, then she went into a class that was a little bit more serious (but still some fun too!). If she had started earlier than that I can guarantee you she wouldn't be doing gymnastics anymore. As for private lessons I think that is definitely unnecessary at that age. At my gym they don't even allow privates till they are 5 because there is just no reason for it. Good luck!

I also wanted to point out what I've noticed from hanging around the gym. I see older kids pick up skills very quickly where as the younger kids it can take a lot longer. So if she starts at an older age she will probably catch up the the kids who started younger very quickly.

our gym doesn't have pre-team or a special developmental program, kids go from tots or rec class directly onto the team.. my dd was invited onto the team when she was still 3 (few months shy of 4). she has really progressed over the year and a half, but i've mentioned before, it was really hard to watch as a mom. my dd couldn't focus as long as the girls that were closer to 5, and she was often spinning in circles, kicking into handstands, or bouncing around in line while she was waiting. she did not fully understand the directions and corrections she was given, if she even heard the coach at all. my lil one was definately a distraction to the coach and others, and though she is really doing well i still question if it was the right choice to start her a year early. and i have seen 7 year olds that have just started team and definately have caught up with her, so like everyone is saying, it's probably a good thing. though it's nice to have the youngest on the team for bragging rights, it's also a hard path.

My DD started gym at about 3 and a half, in the preschool rec class, where the parents do the class with the kids. I remember her sometimes having tantrums and sulks, hiding behind the equipment, refusing to do anything, with me trying to coax her out! Then other times having fun, very enthusiastic, even running past the other kids to the front of the line. I can't imagine her coping with a serious class back then. She got a bit more serious about it by about 6 and a half, doing a couple of novice (rec) comps and that's when she got invited to pre-comp, and from there to comp at almost 7. Even in our IDP group (the very serious stream for the most talented) I think they only start them at 5 or very close to 5. Certainly not 3.

at 3yo they just want her to be able to listen and get in line a little better than she is probably doing now and not have to deal with that during a developmental class.

give her a few weeks. most kids need at least 3-6 to get in line.

Otherwise...there is always soccer and chess. :p

My daughter at 3 yr tried out for the pre-team class (the fast-fast track at our gym) and didn't make it--supposed to be 4 yr to try out, but she was about 2 mos shy (they invited her). She just didn't pay attention during the tryout, so wasn't surprised. She made the regular pre-team class 6 mos later and moved up regularly. Now as a 14 yr old she's a level 10, so don't count your daughter out.

dunno puts face in hands....sigh

I'd join you dunno, but I'd be putting my face in hands to hide my un-timely laughter over the notion that a 3yo has any idea what they want to do next week, let alone 4 years down the road, well except for wasting to go to Mcdonald's....daily-weekly-monthly.

To the original.......No big deal one way or the other, as long as she's begging for more. If she want's to get into the other class, but isn't yet invited, she's begging for more. I'd keep it like that as looooong as possible. Ya know, you can always take her to Mikey D's for a little extra work-out in the "play land".

It always amazes me when people talk about their kids starting gymnastics at three. Wow! It would never have occured to me, did I miss a trick? They're not even allowed to start until they are about to turn five at our gym.

My daughter started at six and a half. Positively decrepit! Before that she couldn't even do a cartwheel. She's now (eight and a bit) on the team at one of of our best gyms. There are a couple of girls on the team who started when they were four, but you honestly can't tell the difference.

My daughter had done a 'ballet' class at four. Obviously, not really ballet at that age, but it taught her to stand still for more than a second and to not wet herself in public. (God she would so hate me if she could read this now). We signed her up for that because she was so clumsy - she could trip over dust particles and fall in to rooms. We thought it would help her be a bit more coordinated.

To see her now - so poised, focused, strong and balanced - learning to swing giants and somersaulting off a beam... well I don't feel she was disadvantaged as a toddler.

Your daughter's time will come and when she is ready she will do amazing things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back