A new this week I accomplished.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've done back tucks into the pit before once or twice. And front tucks. Probably not very well, but it's fun. I think the hardest part is getting out of the pit afterwards! Eventually I want to learn the front tuck dismount on beam, and tuck flyaway on bars. But one step at a time...

I haven't tried handsprint vaults (yet) - let us know how it goes.

I have class tonight and I'm really hoping to finally make my kip tonight!! I was so close last time but it's been two weeks since my last class because the gym was closed for spring break last week (except for team stuff)...so we'll see. Wish me luck!

Didn't get to work on kips tonight because the bars were all taken by the team girls :[ But I did work on a few things on floor and vault so it was a good practice :]

I totally rocked vault on Friday! I have officially started doing it right. Move the spring board a million miles away, and put something in FRONT of the spring board that I have to hurdle over, and I have a text book vault. But those were only handstand flat backs. I DID start working on regular FHS vault with the tumble track and a fat mat on Friday as well, and those went really well too. Can't wait to start working those on the floor, since the whole concept of hurdling makes sense to me now and I can do it properly. It's funny how after coming back from six months, things are clicking for me and just make sense. not that I'm complaining or anything. Now I can't wait for Tuesday!!

I didn't get to work on the regular bars Sat @ practice b/c team was taking them up, but I did work on baby giants & tuck flyaways on the pit bar...went ok...nothing spectacular. Beam was good though...did back tucks on high beam (w/spot of course) :) Sunday I had tumbling practice...for some reason this intense fear of everything I've been doing set in & needless to say, it was not a productive day :(

I had the best class EVER tonight! My coach said I was ready to learn a flic-flac! So I did about 12 on a mat, very heavily spotted! I'm so excited! I'd always dreamed of doing a flic-flac, but wondered if I would ever get to do it. Maybe eventually I'll even be able to do them by myself, but one step at a time. At first I couldn't stop giggling, and my coach was asking me what was so funny, but I tend to laugh when I'm doing something new and exciting and a bit scary, I guess it is just a release of nervous tension, like the way people scream on a rollercoaster. He also talked about learning to connect the round-off to the flic-flac soon. I'm away on holiday next week, so it will be two weeks before my next class with him. I'll have to try to keep up with some stretching and conditioning while I'm away. I can't wait to do more flic-flacs!

Nicki, that's so exciting! I was working on those before I got hurt and I almost had them on tumble track without a spot. I haven't worked on them since then because I don't do anything if I'm not 100% sure how my feet are going to land :p But I just ordered a better ankle brace and I'm hoping I can start learning more new skills again. And I always giggle too when I'm learning new things!

Yay Nicki! I was doing mine with a medium spot before I hurt my knee, and now I can barley do them in a spotting belt lol. BUt aw well, once the fear is gone...That's exciting though, good job! I sadly am not going to the gym tonight because I have TONS of paperwork to do, as well as studying. But there is always Friday!

tramp and tumbling meet went well. i finished all of my routines and i mobilized on double mini and trampoline. but best of all i found out that my shoulder is totally healed. can't wait to start tumbling again!

First post in, well, a long time. I haven't been able to practice as much as I wanted to this year, but I've somehow still managed to make some progress.

Vault: this week marks the first time I have vaulted over the table by myself with no coach anywhere near me (they were busy with the other kids). Woohoo! They weren't pretty, and it took me up to 10 minutes to bring myself to go for it each time (I'm terrified of that thing), but I did it.

Beam: worked on handstands and half-turns ad nauseum. I still can't bring myself to kick up to full handstand since I'm always afraid my hands will slip (already had several mishaps), but I figure it will come in time. I started working on full turns - I'm surprised at how well I did with these.

Bars: practiced kips, squat-on to long hang kips and front hip circles. I did some back hip circles on the high bar - I find these really scary for some reason. I also worked on connecting more skills together. My endurance is really poor, so I need to work on this some more.

Floor: I haven't tumbled in a while. I can do round off back handsprings just fine, but my standing back handsprings need lots of work. I was taught a great tip for back extension rolls, and it changed everything (though I am still doing them down a cheese mat)!

Whew! Ok, getting off my chatterbox now.

Sure, though I'm not sure how earth shattering it will be to everyone else ;) Basically, I was told to sit onto my heels before pushing back to help generate the necessary momentum. Before, I would sit back too far away from my feet so I wouldn't be able to push hard enough into the handstand. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last training my coach got me doing front tuck somersaults off the end of the tumble track onto a high mat. I hadn't tried it before, but before long I was landing them on my feet. It was great fun!

glide kip - front hip circle - sole circle 1/2 turn - glide kip!

Now I'd like to add on to that with a squat on - long hang kip - sole circle dismount...however...I am totally not digging the squat on. I don't know why I have such a mental block with that skill. It's so easy but I just don't like it.

The squat on was actually one of the first skills I learned. I don't know why I wanted to be able to do one so badly, but I definitely had some fear issues at first. What I had to do was just think about everything that scared me about it (like catching my toes on the bar and falling forward) and just build up a bunch of mats under the low bar and in between the low and high bar. I basically just made it so that no matter what happened I knew I wouldn't get hurt. I learned it really easily that way and after making almost every single one I ended up taking away all the mats that same practice.

I learned them only a couple months after I sprained my ankle really badly so I was working with pretty limited range of motion. As long as you flex your feet when you bring them to the bar, I don't think it's very likely that you'll catch your toes on the bar. I would just build up mats everywhere you feel might be necessary and then slowly take some away.

I lost my straddle on for a few months but it is finally coming back. I made 3 on Monday and 4 yesterday plus 2 high bar kips (1 with a cast out of it). It was super frustrating not being able to make a single one but I think I've finally figured out how far over the bar I need to lean. If I can get it consistent then I can work more on connecting all of the skills in the level 5 routine. Then I can start on my next goal, the level 6 routine.

I got my semblance of a semblance of a kip back. Got my cartwheel on beam back, still too scared to do a full english handstand on beam though. Back to working on FHS vault, moving up in the drill world lol. Tomorrow I'm going to work on front layouts into the pit. I have my floor routine for the fun meet in June, can't wait to do that! Mill circle is a smidgen closer, but nothing to write home about yet. Did my first bounders on tramp last week for the first time in over a year, and even did a couple really well, that was exciting! Want to do squat ons, but I seem to have a permanent block on those! So back to the drawing board on those. So that is all for today, we will see what tomorrow brings!

enjoying all the progress.
trying to be nice to my elbow and not really training right now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back