WAG AAU?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onelittledream

Proud Parent
Our gym apparently does both USAG and AAU seasons. I am well aware of how USAG works it is very clearly laid out as far as skills and difficulty needed in the routines for each level. However, I am having quite a hard time coming up with information on what AAU is and how it works. Our Gym has already finished the USAG season and my daughter was too new to compete this year but will probably compete next year, but she has been asked to compete in AAU season this spring so that is why I am curious and looking for info.

Our gym competes both as well but only AAU 1-3 & then USAG 3 & up. It's similar to USAG in many ways except I believe USAG is scored harder. I do think it has its benefits because if you compare USAG 3 to AAU 3, they are almost exactly the same routines except bars & I believe the vault is a bit different? AAU 3 has a squat on jump to high bar which to me gets them ready for USAG 4, but I know others would probably disagree. I know I've been told USAG 3 & 4 teaches proper form better than AAU. There is an AAU website you can go to if you want more information. http://aaugymnastics.org

My DD started at old AAU3 (now 2) as a 5 year old, then competed new AAU3 as a 6 year old & this year competing USAG 4 at just turned 7. Our gym competes 1 level per year, only competing in the spring season.

It's usually jan-April with states being late April-may. USAG can be competed both fall & spring but some gyms only compete it either fall or spring.

Looks like our gym does USAG in the fall and they are now getting ready for AAU, the dates you mentioned are correct starts in Jan and go through the end of school april/may depending on if the make the states (I have no idea what the requirements are though). I am sure I will get an exploitation when gym starts again , right now the only ones practicing are the ones that were asked to the AAU season for boys and girls, so there is a skeleton staff till after the holidays. But my daughter keeps asking me questions and I have no idea where to get the answers.

I have found the AAU website and looked at the handbook, my mommy curiosity and visual tendencies want to see the sketches and explanations of the routines though and I am certainly not finding that. Also there is not a lot about the scoring, what gets deductions and so forth. Again I am sure I will get all of this when we are full swing again next week but I, and DD, are bursting with curiosity and free time and want to know lol.

Looks like our gym does USAG in the fall and they are now getting ready for AAU, the dates you mentioned are correct starts in Jan and go through the end of school april/may depending on if the make the states (I have no idea what the requirements are though). I am sure I will get an exploitation when gym starts again , right now the only ones practicing are the ones that were asked to the AAU season for boys and girls, so there is a skeleton staff till after the holidays. But my daughter keeps asking me questions and I have no idea where to get the answers.

I have found the AAU website and looked at the handbook, my mommy curiosity and visual tendencies want to see the sketches and explanations of the routines though and I am certainly not finding that. Also there is not a lot about the scoring, what gets deductions and so forth. Again I am sure I will get all of this when we are full swing again next week but I, and DD, are bursting with curiosity and free time and want to know lol.
The deductions are like USAG. They follow USAG guidelines, I believe, for most everything. Scoring is quite similar, in my opinion, but I've heard USAG scores tougher. I won't know that until my DD's first meet though.
There are tutorials on YouTube also but like I said, the routines look almost exactly like USAG on 3 except bars. No idea about the other levels though. I've only seen 3 competed. What level AAU will she be competing?

She is in a class/practice group that is labeled "level 4", I know it is USAG level 4 as the classes are leveled based on USAG at the end of each summer (unless they skip or are able to level up in the middle of the USAG fall season like my daughter did they are placed in their level each July, the last Saturday they posted.) But I am not sure if USAG level 4 means AAU level 4, the class is still labeled "level 4". DD says there are small differences in what she is practicing but I think maybe the same as far as routines and such, I carry around sketches and explanations from the USAG site that I printed off.

Anyway, I am going to say level 4 but I am not 100% sure of that because of the explanation above.

She is in a class/practice group that is labeled "level 4", I know it is USAG level 4 as the classes are leveled based on USAG at the end of each summer (unless they skip or are able to level up in the middle of the USAG fall season like my daughter did they are placed in their level each July, the last Saturday they posted.) But I am not sure if USAG level 4 means AAU level 4, the class is still labeled "level 4". DD says there are small differences in what she is practicing but I think maybe the same as far as routines and such, I carry around sketches and explanations from the USAG site that I printed off.

Anyway, I am going to say level 4 but I am not 100% sure of that because of the explanation above.
USAG L4 and AAU L4 are basically the same, so she should be AAU L4.

right now the only ones practicing are the ones that were asked to the AAU season for boys and girls, so there is a skeleton staff till after the holidays. .
The boys are probably getting ready for the USAG season. As the boys season Is Jan to May. Also, as far as I know there is only one track for boys.

Alos, as far as you original question, can you see if there are videos on YouTube of girls from your gym or area doing AAU routines in previous years? That might give you an idea of what to expect.

The boys are probably getting ready for the USAG season. As the boys season Is Jan to May. Also, as far as I know there is only one track for boys.

You may be right, I know nothing about the boys except that one of the boys dad sits next to us most times. I know a few of them are in the gym this week too, I assumed AAU but I could be wrong, being an assumption and all :)

Alos, as far as you original question, can you see if there are videos on YouTube of girls from your gym or area doing AAU routines in previous years? That might give you an idea of what to expect.

I am looking at some and trying to make sense of it. From what I understand the first meet we have will be this one:
2015-01-30 2015-02-01 Friends Of Achievers Invitational

Will anyone else be going? It is in Denton Texas, I would love to meet up with some of yall on here if you will be there.

We will be at Metroplex Challenge that weekend. I think we talked about that meet before. You should try to make it to the NCAA meet that Saturday night. Your gymmie will LOVE it!!

Looks like your gymmie is set to compete in her first USAG J.O. meet! FOA is listed on TX USAG website, but not listed on TAAF. Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Our old gym competed AAU at the compulsory levels, I believe largely because of the way they do awards. Their groupings for awards are different then USAG and they medal all the way out for AA and 50%+1 for events. Overall, the way they do awards makes it easier for girls to medal, which is nice for the confidence of young/new gymnasts. It was great for my 6 year old level 3 last season who wasn't the best little gymnast but she was decent (had all her skills just not super pretty) and was/is a tremendously hard worker. Not sure she would have ever medaled competing USAG which would have gotten old for her by the third or fourth meet. A cross country move has put us at a USAG only gym now and they are really working her on form and cleaning up her skills. I think it's great for her now but I'm glad she was able to get her feet wet with AAU.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back