Parents Added Pressure for Young Gymmies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilgymmie7--thank you so much for starting this thought-provoking and important thread. And THANK YOU for choosing to be a teacher to educate and prepare our country's kids to be the best students that they can be academically. But mostly, thank you for caring enough about our kids education to want to make a difference. And YES, our kids NEED teachers like you.

The education situation as a whole is failing gradually, but we do have the power to make a difference and to make it better for our kids. The fact that you are a thoughtful, caring and involved teacher and mom gives hope to this failing system. Good luck with your little one--it sounds like you have done wonderfully with the older ones :).

Lilgymmie7--thank you so much for starting this thought-provoking and important thread. And THANK YOU for choosing to be a teacher to educate and prepare our country's kids to be the best students that they can be academically. But mostly, thank you for caring enough about our kids education to want to make a difference. And YES, our kids NEED teachers like you.

The education situation as a whole is failing gradually, but we do have the power to make a difference and to make it better for our kids. The fact that you are a thoughtful, caring and involved teacher and mom gives hope to this failing system. Good luck with your little one--it sounds like you have done wonderfully with the older ones :).

Now that I am in tears! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I never thought one question could do so much, but it has. Thank you for posting the "Waiting for Superman" link. Your previous posts and threads also indicate your sincere thought for all children. When the day is over, it really boils down to what have I done to improve the life of a child. I can see that this is very true for you as well. Thank you again my friend!:):)

Awww, now you have me in tears :eek:!! You're very welcome. Looking back at my school days and teachers that have taught me over the years, there are a few teachers that have always stood out in my mind. They weren't necessarily the nicest or easiest teachers, but usually teachers that taught me how to think outside the box. They were the teachers that challenged me in different ways. It wasn't till I was older that I grew to appreciate them not only as teachers but as people just making a difference one student at a time. I haven't seen "Waiting for 'Superman'" yet, but am very anxious to see it. It is only being played in selected theatres so I hope it is available on DVD soon.

GJM... you're absolutely right, and I guess that's what's so frustrating to me as an educator. There are many kids who definitely need a modified curriculum and aren't getting it b/c the parents don't want their child "labelled". Well, guess what? They're labelled anyway!!!

And then you have the GT kids who get all the enrichment that EVERY child should be exposed to....

I don't know what the answer is....

I also can't wait to see "Waiting for Superman." It should be quite a thought-provoking movie from what I'm hearing.

May I also suggest another new film - Race to Nowhere also a website Race to Nowhere | Changing lives one film at a time Race to Nowhere (2009) - IMDb

This is definitely on my list of "must see". We need to find a way to really instill learning for learning's sake NOT just to 'score higher'. We are sucking the inquisitiveness that comes inate in a child at birth. I can only imagine what 'true' genius can evolve in a child if we as a society begin to find ways to 'get it right'. Life is so much more than a test score. But presently test scores are what our leadership feels marks as true intelligence. I can't help but hope that all of this that has come about presently about our educational system from the media, movie industry, etc. will bring improvement so that our children can find success. We have to stop thinking education is a means to compete against other countries especially because our 'products'-our children- are the ones who carry the heavy burden of our failures.

Disclaimer: I am not directing my following rant to anyone in particular except to the public education system in our country!!1

Having been in the public school system for several years now, both as a parent and a teacher, I have to say that the whole "GT program" concept really does irritate me to no degree. Bog, I agree with you... this is the type of education that could benefit ALL children. Why is it not offered to all and why do you need to get a special score to attain that education. I have to say, I have seen, through the years, kids get into the program who have not "tested" into it, but have had their parents come to school and scream and threaten lawsuits to get their child into the programs. For example, we have a child in 4th grade right now who cannot read, cannot spell, yet he's in the GT program. So he misses a day of his regular school each week (that he has to make up at home) so he can go outside to the GT program. I do not know why it isn't offered to every child and why we have to have a whole different center that these kids have to be pulled out of their home school to attend. Yes, I do understand that to some it would be an overwhelming choice, then again that's where the word "offered" comes into play. I think it all boils down to funding and politics. It is SOOO competitive here where I live. Every parent wants to claim that their child is the top in their class, that their child is in the futura or spectrum programs (GT); and then of course there's the my child is the youngest and best in whatever sport they play. Sometimes I just want to uproot myself and move to a small town in the mid-west somewhere. I just don't think it's good for the future of our kids.

I see I'm off on my rant again about the public education system, so I'll stop!

Well said TQM, I've dealt with the public schools for decades both as a teacher and a mother. I am now the special education coordinator for our school district and work on site at the district middle school. GT is actually a subset of special education. I believe that the way GT children are taught could benefit all children, and all children could benefit from an IEP. Unfortunately schools just don't have the time or resources for that. I've seen some GT students that need a special environment, be it excellerated or separate, or their academics suffer (the kind of children that have behavioral problems if they aren't challenged for example). Because of NCLB I feel that's really why GT programs exist, just the way special education programs overall exist, just to get students through the bare minimum.

Both my daughters and my son had many components of being "GT", but Bri she was already in special education courses with an IEP for her Deafness and because she struggled with English her teachers actually thought she had a learning disability. My other two children had emotional and learning disabilities and were labelled and put aside for that. It's so difficult to pidgeonhole children into these programs. There's so much overlapping. When I received my masters in Special Education I wrote my thesis on how immersing children is always the ideal situation instead of taking them out of the regular classroom. That applies for blind children, children with Downs, etc. There's so many things children can learn from one another and they all have various strengths, that with the proper guidance and support they should really be able to excell without being removed from a classroom environment. (Sorry I'm getting very off topic here)

But back to the original post, I think it's always good to explore every option available to your children for their education. It's so important and in today's public schools it can be so difficult to navigate. Even as a teacher in my daughter's district I struggled advocating for her. So take the chance while you can! Good luck to you and your daughter!

Yeah Bog!!! You hit the nail on the head there!!! Gifted kids are getting the educatution that ALL kids should be getting!!!! Unfortunately that is NOT the case. It is a sorry situation:(. JMHO.

I totally agree! ALL kids should be given the same opportunites .... period. Most kids can rise to a challenge if it is made fun and exciting!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back