WAG Advanced Toddler Classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was reading some older posts and a few (and some less old posts) mention advanced toddler classes as a pathway to team.

My question is how common are these class? And what do you even do in them? How long are theses classes? I have never heard of this before.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to - but many teams have something like "rising stars," which is a pre-pre team program. My gym offers this and I believe the girls are 4-5 y/o. This is often a pathway to preteam, which will lead to team at 6 or 7. Most gyms around me offer it, and it's typically two days a week for an hour or two.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to - but many teams have something like "rising stars," which is a pre-pre team program. My gym offers this and I believe the girls are 4-5 y/o. This is often a pathway to preteam, which will lead to team at 6 or 7. Most gyms around me offer it, and it's typically two days a week for an hour or two.

It's not exactly what I meant, but it makes me ask another question. Are these "Rising stars" working on limbers and walkovers, or perfecting form, or are they doing handspring passes and cartwheels on beam?

It's not exactly what I meant, but it makes me ask another question. Are these "Rising stars" working on limbers and walkovers, or perfecting form, or are they doing handspring passes and cartwheels on beam?

I haven't really heard of the toddler class, but I'm sure some here have.

These "rising star" (not every gym will call them this) are working a lot on body shapes and conditioning. I only ever see them on beam, (they are leaving when I go in) but they are working on jumps, turns, handstands, etc with PROPER form. Lots of things in this class are focused on body shapes. Limbers and handsprings can be dangerous for them, so they aren't heavily focused on yet. might work shaping here or there but it's rare.

We have an advanced pre-school class with kids ages 5-7. So not actually pre-school aged but it is part of our pre-K program.

The pathway is like this:
General 4/5 yo class -> general 5/6 yo class -> advanced 5-7 yo class -> pre-team -> team
This is the main way that we get new members for our team, since we don't typically add kids in from rec classes or take older kids, unless they are transferring from another team program somewhere else.

The class is 2x a week for 1.5 hours, versus the other classes for this age group that are 1 hr long. The kids in this class are selected for their gymnastics ability but also their ability to focus and take direction; the younger kids in the class sometimes struggle with that for the whole session but the class is designed for kids this age with a lot of games/breaks so they usually are successful eventually.

They are basically a pre-pre team so there is a lot of focus on developing strength, flexibility, body shaping, and body awareness in age appropriate ways. They also work on the L3 skills and/or progressions towards them. Definitely a focus on technique and drills over skill acquisition. In order to be in this class you need to have mastered all of the skills from the equivalent age group rec class, so everyone in it has pullovers, back hip circles; handstands, cartwheels, bridges on floor with good technique; 3/4 handstand on beam.

The pathway is like this:
General 4/5 yo class -> general 5/6 yo class -> advanced 5-7 yo class -> pre-team -> team
This is the main way that we get new members for our team, since we don't typically add kids in from rec classes or take older kids, unless they are transferring from another team program somewhere else.
So what age is pre-team then? And wouldn't they be working on about the same things?

Our preteam is slightly older, 5-7ish. They start working harder skills, and condition more. These girls come 3 days for 2 hours instead of 2 days for an hour or two (I can't remember but I think it's 1.5 hrs). They focus on more level 3 skills and skill acquisition, but still lots of body shaping.

I am not sure what they mean by toddler. Here the term toddler refers to a child of 1-2 years of age. At this age it isn't safe to be using proper sized gymnastics equipment or event be teaching most gymnastics skills, so I don't see the need for an advanced class. It should be all about climbing, swinging, sliding, bouncing and moving at this time.

I cannot believe that anyone would have an "Advanced toddler class".

Toddlers, well, toddle ! They lack focus and co-ordination. Toddlers don't do gymnastics, they do structured play

Okay, I guess that I did not imply that by toddler I didn't mean someone who is crawling, 1 or two years of age. Most gymnastics classes near me consider toddler gymnastics as 3-5 years old, not yet school age. Sorry for the two inconveniences.

So what age is pre-team then? And wouldn't they be working on about the same things?

Pre-team focuses more on skill development than on basics, shaping, strength, and flexibility. They do work on similar skills and of course continue the technique and basics work, but are working towards mastering the L3 skills. Another thing to mention is that at my gym, kids are usually on pre-team only for a few months, to perfect the skills they have been developing in the pre-preteam class and to get used to more hours. Pre-team does not have an age range specifically but is mostly ages 6-7 because the feeder class is ages 5-7.

We have an advanced preschool class, and honestly I think it's just kids who listen pretty well, and show a little more gymnastics potential. It's mostly ages 3-4. They don't do anything really different then the other preschool classes skill wise though.

We have advanced rec which can lead to team, but it starts at JK, not toddler. It's 2 hours, once or twice weekly.
And our version of rising stars are 4-6 and work on a lot of positions and strength, but they also do bridges/limbers/etc and start working handsprings. They are 2x2hrs.

Okay, I guess that I did not imply that by toddler I didn't mean someone who is crawling, 1 or two years of age. Most gymnastics classes near me consider toddler gymnastics as 3-5 years old, not yet school age. Sorry for the two inconveniences.

This would be preschool at our gym. Parent-tot starts at walking, preschool at 3-5. We have had advanced preschool, but they are usually older preschoolers (4-5) who may not be ready for the big gym,but need more than the intro class. They do fun stuff, games, obstacle courses, hang on preschool sized equipment, roll, bounce on tramp. Any thing else starts at 5 when they move to the big gym from the preschool gym

Ah yes, our gym starts the "rising stars" equivalent at 4. Kids in the preschool program who listen, take correction, and focus well, as well as have some gymnastics talent get pulled in. It's the earliest phase of preteam, but most kids won't make it all the way through.

At our gym, the heavy, heavy focus all through preteam is conditioning. 4s are doing lots of rope, straddle presses, shapes, chin ups...skills worked are pullovers, casts, cartwheeels, handstands, forward and backward rolls. On beam they do all kinds of weird hops and walks which are prep for something later on - I forget what exactly. The work bridges very rarely, and only with their feet on a mat. At 5 they start working the bridges more and bridge kickovers, and start working on doing the rope with scissor legs.

At our gym, the path to team is thru the rec programs
We have "mommy and me" for 18 months - 3 years. 45 minutes.
Preschool class is 3-4 years old. 45 minutes.
Rec 1, Rec 2, and Rec 3 are ages 5 and up. 1 hour, 1 hour, and 2 hours (1-2 days a week in Rec 3).
This is the normal progression.
For an advanced TODDLER, they move to preschool class early (YG did that).
For an advanced PRESCHOOLER, they move to Rec classes early (OG and YG both did that).
The preschool class does the same stuff as Rec 1... Rec 1 is just 15 minutes longer. If the preschool child has mastered the skills, they skip Rec 1 and go straight into Rec 2.
They work on shaping and safe skills. BHS never comes into play until Rec 3... always spotted for shaping and safety. Bridges are spotted when they do them (Rec 2 and Rec 3) until they can do them safely and they are age appropriate.
Move ups to team happen in April and August... But they have to be at least 6 by the end of October to move up.
For those who are not old enough, if they have all of the JO Level 3 skills, they are given the option to work out with the team once a week. This gives them extra conditioning and time to learn the routines. The Rec 3 coach will also allow them to do skills and drills for future skills.

At our gym, the path to team is thru the rec programs
We have "mommy and me" for 18 months - 3 years. 45 minutes.
Preschool class is 3-4 years old. 45 minutes.
Rec 1, Rec 2, and Rec 3 are ages 5 and up. 1 hour, 1 hour, and 2 hours (1-2 days a week in Rec 3).
This is the normal progression.
For an advanced TODDLER, they move to preschool class early (YG did that).
For an advanced PRESCHOOLER, they move to Rec classes early (OG and YG both did that).
The preschool class does the same stuff as Rec 1... Rec 1 is just 15 minutes longer. If the preschool child has mastered the skills, they skip Rec 1 and go straight into Rec 2.
They work on shaping and safe skills. BHS never comes into play until Rec 3... always spotted for shaping and safety. Bridges are spotted when they do them (Rec 2 and Rec 3) until they can do them safely and they are age appropriate.
Move ups to team happen in April and August... But they have to be at least 6 by the end of October to move up.
For those who are not old enough, if they have all of the JO Level 3 skills, they are given the option to work out with the team once a week. This gives them extra conditioning and time to learn the routines. The Rec 3 coach will also allow them to do skills and drills for future skills.

Thank you!

We have a pre-team group, the youngest child I've had there was 4.5. And she was a rare exception. I have seen a fair share of 4-5 year olds who do show strength and coordination that is far above their peers, I think those are the ones often targeted for hot shots/rising stars/whatever you want to call them classes. And while physical ability is pretty easy to detect at that age, it's much harder to tell which kids have the drive and passion to continue in a more serious class as well as those who can handle taking correction.
I'm currently at a pretty low-key, Xcel only gym, so our pre-team groups are older (6-8) which makes it a lot easier to select girls from classes because you already have an idea of who is really passionate about what they are doing and who just happens to be athletically gifted. That's not to say I only select kids who stand still in line and listen well. I would say at least 1/2 of my pre-teamers are a little on the wild side- can't stand still, have to be swinging on bars or dangling over beams when I give instructions, bounce between stations- but they all really love gymnastics and have a desire to get better.
And I feel like I recall one of our members who is a pretty seasoned coach once mentioning that talented 5-year olds are a dime a dozen. I feel like one of the rec coaches is always pointing out a new 4 year old who can do a cartwheel like they are the next Simone Biles.

at our gym you start out in rec and then get invited to the more advanced classes. i assume it's like that at all the other gyms too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back