Advice on standing back hand spring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

Lifetravelsfar

I've actually been trying to learn a back handspring for quite some time now. More recently, I'm attempting to do one on a trampoline but still having a lot of difficult which I suspect is largely due to the fact that I'm afraid of falling on my head, lol.

For some reason I end up jumping up more than I jump back which results in my hands landing where my feet previously were. Any advice would be helpful! :)

If your hands are landing were your feet were, that's called undercutting, which means your hips are pushing forward when you jump backwards. Practice jumping backwards correctly onto a high soft mat. You should feel your weight rock back towards your heels slightly before you jump. Then you can try some on the tramp again. Hope this helps! :)

*edit* Hmm, I saw your introduction and saw that you're not practicing at a gym. :) I guess you could practice jumping back onto a bed or something. Be careful!

Last edited:
I've actually been trying to learn a back handspring for quite some time now. More recently, I'm attempting to do one on a trampoline but still having a lot of difficult which I suspect is largely due to the fact that I'm afraid of falling on my head, lol.

For some reason I end up jumping up more than I jump back which results in my hands landing where my feet previously were. Any advice would be helpful! :)

Jumping up isn't the issue. You need to sit back without letting your knees or hips move forward. The best way I've been told to look at the standing back handspring is.

1. Sit back
2. Jump up
3. don't let your head hit (i.e put your arms up)

If you sit back and jump back you go back. There isn't any Up in your equation.
If you buckle your knees forward and jump up, there is no Back in your equation.
This is why you would sit back and jump up.

I hate to see these learned on trampoline. It tends to take far longer to get the technique correct enough to put it on the ground. I only use trampoline to correct shapes once the technique is sound.

And finally, get someone that knows what they are doing to spot you. An incorrectly done back handspring can do a lot of damage.

I had that problem and I've found that if you focus on pushing through your feet and pointing them as soon as you push back, it stretches it out. At least for me that works...:)

sit back!

I agree, you need to get your weight back and as yu 'jump, ensure your knees don't come forward too. A drill (in a gym on the correct mats) is to get the girls to start facing/close to a wall, that way they have to lean backwards to start and if their knees come forwards, they 'hit the wall' (put a crash pad against the wall. Also glue arms to ears at all times!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back