MAG age for comp teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My boys just had a meet this weekend and we followed the USAG age group breakdown for level 5's 7-9, 10-11, & 12+, this type of break down works very well for the boys. With the exception of having 15 year old's in the 12+ group, their bodies are a bit more mature than a boy who just turned 12.

In Australia the focus is a little different because we compete from level 1 (or level 0 in some cases), the recommended age for each level is as follows.

Level 1 - 6 turning 7
Level 2 - 7 turning 8
Level 3 - 8 turning 9
Level 4 - 9 turning 10
Level 5 - 10 turning 11
Level 6 - 11 turning 12
Level 7 - 12 turning 13 and 13 turning 14
Level 8 - skipped if in the age group levels
Level 9 - 14 tuning 15 and 15 turning 16
Level 10 - 16+

I was wondering given this; what would happen if a 10 or 12 yo joined gymnastics, was fast tracked through the levels and within 1 or 2 years was competing level 4 at the age of 12 and 14 respectfully. How would these age groups fit into the competition. Are they included with the others or do they have a separate age group?

Both our older level 4 boys started gymnastics at 10 and 12. They were fast tracked into level 3 within 6 months. They competed level 3 well, with 6 months of training. They now have had 4 months of training level 4 and have most of the skills. I am now considering some upskilling.

They would have to compete in the open divisions rather than the age group divisions.

The age groups are
Level 2 under 8
Level 3 under 9
Level 4 under 10
Level 5 under 11
Level 6 under 12
Level 7 under 14
Level 9 under 16
Level 10 under 18

Then there are the open divisions
Level 1 open
Level 2 Open
Level 3 Open
Level 4 Open
Level 5 Open
Level 6 Open
Level 7 Open
Level 8 Open
Level 9 Open
Level 10 senior international

In the early stages of training the routines are the same for the age group divisions as the open divisions. The age group divisions is aimed at developing elite gymnast, but a lot of kids just compete in it because they are of that age. The age is based on how old they are on january 1st that year.

The open division is for any age, so i take it your boys are competing level 4 open. From level 7 there is a big difference between age group and open, with totally different routines.

With boys its quite flexible if they start older/

They would have to compete in the open divisions rather than the age group divisions.

The age groups are
Level 2 under 8
Level 3 under 9
Level 4 under 10
Level 5 under 11
Level 6 under 12
Level 7 under 14
Level 9 under 16
Level 10 under 18

Then there are the open divisions
Level 1 open
Level 2 Open
Level 3 Open
Level 4 Open
Level 5 Open
Level 6 Open
Level 7 Open
Level 8 Open
Level 9 Open
Level 10 senior international

In the early stages of training the routines are the same for the age group divisions as the open divisions. The age group divisions is aimed at developing elite gymnast, but a lot of kids just compete in it because they are of that age. The age is based on how old they are on january 1st that year.

The open division is for any age, so i take it your boys are competing level 4 open. From level 7 there is a big difference between age group and open, with totally different routines.

With boys its quite flexible if they start older/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back