Ankle brace or tape?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My ds10 has complained of the inside of his ankle hurting for about a week now. His coach says he just needs to tape it and continue training since there is no swelling or bruising, and he never really did anything like twist it or roll it, it just started hurting. So all last week he trained with it taped, but then came home limping and limped around school all day before going to practice to tape it and train again. He does say the tape helps a lot, so I am wondering if I should be taping it for school, too, or maybe having him wear an ankle brace instead? How long do these types of over-use pains last, and how do I know when he should be seen by a doctor? Is it better to tape or would a brace be just as good?

2 weeks max. and there won't be swelling or bruising if it's the growth plate. so, 2 weeks max.:)

tape or brace won't matter.

take him to the DR and have it checked. You never know what it could be and I go with if a kid is complaining about it then it needs to be seen and evaluated. A coach isn't a DR.

with that said We use a brace instead of tape for ankle when my DD had overuse issues. the tape stretched out during practice and the brace you could re- adjust if needed. But we didn't use either until the DR said to.

Ok, thanks. I didn't realize about growth plate damage not causing any swelling or bruising. I have made an appt. but can't get in until Monday, so, until then it will be ice, tape and ibuprofen!

and have them take it light on him until then. tumbling, vaulting and hard surface landings can wait a week.:)

Motrin is drug of choice for us. It not only is a pain reliever but also helps with any swelling even if it's minimal.

On the tape vs brace issue, I find tape more supportive and works better since it fits your ankle perfectly, but it's a hassle to put on. A brace I find less protective but slips on quickly which is probably fine for school, but tape for practice. You'll just have to research a good supportive brace that he finds as effective as tape.

On the tape vs brace issue, I find tape more supportive and works better since it fits your ankle perfectly, but it's a hassle to put on. A brace I find less protective but slips on quickly which is probably fine for school, but tape for practice. You'll just have to research a good supportive brace that he finds as effective as tape.

Thanks, I will see if I can find a good brace he can wear to school. He has such teeny ankles, though!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ASO Ankle support

THis is the one we have had great success with. We have taped, but this was easy for kids to put on alone. They have itty bitty ankle sizes too.

Thanks, I did go ahead and order one of these, even though it won't come in until after ds sees the doctor. As my husband said, it's probably not going to be the last time he'll need an ankle support!

A very weird thing happened yesterday. Ds called crying from school that now Both of his ankles hurt so much he had to come home. Still, no swelling in either one. So, no school or gym for him until after the doctor on Monday. I just don't want to take any more chances that he'll injure it (them) further.
Anyway, thanks for all the responses and opinions. Ds seems to get one injury after another. It's sometimes hard to know when to make him rest and when to allow him to keep going. I appreciate the advice here :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oh poor thing, I agree with keeping him off until it has been look at. Meanwhile RICE, Rest Ice Compress and Elevate. This is good basic advice for all injuries.

We have owned our Aso braces for a couple of years and they have been used many, many times! THey give very solid support in a few different ways, I like that the kid can put them on easily and they stay tight.

Hope you get some diagnosis for your DS, pain is just not fun. FOr my kids I decided to never let them train through pain, I know that many parents do differently. YOu will find your own "right" fit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back