WAG Ankles hurting!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is always complaining about her ankles hurting and ask if she can have ankle supports. I usually just have her soak in Epson salt and take motrin. I don't know much about ankle supports, does anyone have any experience with this? Oh yeah she is lv 4 gymnast doing 13 hrs a week in the gym.

Sent from my PC36100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

How old is she, how long has this been going on, how long has she been at 13 hrs a week, and how many hours was she going to gym before the 13 hr schedule.

Also..... Is she feeling this pain while at gym practice, or later after practice.

She is 10 as of Jan, she has been complaining off and own for months, 13 hrs since Jan, and 10 hrs before that, a competative gymnast for 3yrs. She complains during and after but it doesn't stop her from fliping around the house playing with her friends so I really kind of thought she was making more of it than it really was.

If it comes and goes it's probably happening as new skills or exercises/drills are introduced. Keep track of the severity and span of time she's sore. Any new levels of pain, or pain that lasts longer than a week should get checked out by a medical professional.

Thanks, do you think it would be beneficial for her to wear ankle supports?

If the pain is predictably lasting a week and then diminishing to zero as the 2nd week progresses, it's likely normal pain from exercise. Kinda like the "week-end warrior" syndrome, and you shouldn't brace to prevent the exercise that's causing the pain, as that will slow the strength building process her ankles need.

If there seems to be a problem with her ankle being prone to roll to the outside of her foot, you gotta go see the doctor to get it checked out. No matter what, you child should not continue gym activities if she wakes up the neck morning with pain that forces her to lift her weight off that foot. That's another reason to take her to the doctor for eval....

Ok, thanks. I have taken her to the Dr. Before and she checked out fine.

My daughter has the same exact problem. She is 11 a lvl4 doing ~10 hrs for the past year. I have her ice after practice and put her on no gym dancing etc restriction outside of the actual gym. We also have gone to see the Ortho and he found nothing. Literally minutes after telling me she is having ankle pain, she is doing front walkovers across the living room!

Yes and then gets upset and says that I don't take her injuries serious. But your flipping around after telling me your ankles hurt.

I kind of think that its normal aches and pains of being a gymnast, but I don't want to overlook something that may be wrong. And any suggestions on how to treat her ankle pain is welcome.

Always check with her doctor to be sure, but dd had this problem and her doctor reccommended ice, not heat, to reduce any swelling and/or inflamation. Good luck.

My dd was complaining of ankle pain also. I didnt go to Dr., we were too busy...We salted, heated, iced, wrapped it. Finally, one day, I said ok, let me massage it for you. I massaged and manually stretched her feet for about 30 min. After that, we iced it. Guess what, it worked. Now when it starts hurting she comes straight to me, mom, massage my feet.:eek:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I would not let her get actual supports and were them to gym. Maybe you could get some ace wraps and wrap them for her after, let her lie down with her feet up and ice them for 20 min. and see how that goes. The only time I would suggest a brace or taping is 1) after a doctor has suggested it and 2) only after an injury to prevent re injury until the rehab process is finished.

I think I can offer a unique perspective on this. I'm a coach and do gymnastics recreationally (3 hours a week) as well as long jump (track and field, 2 hours a week). I'm of course, older than your daughter and maybe have had more time to put stress on my ankles, but your daughter trains far more than I do and I think that narrows the difference in our situations.
I have had recurring ankle pain for about a year now and have worn ankle supports, tensor bandages, KT tape, athletic tape and likely anything else you can come up with.

First thing I'll say is in response to the mention of pain than flipping. Gymnasts train through pain often, rips, floor burn, whatever it may be. They love the sport and will do that whenever possible. I know I do. I never took a day off or ended early because my ankle hurt. So, I wouldn't suggest dismissing the claim of pain solely based on that behaviour.

Next, ankle supports. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy her ankle supports. They will not save her ankles in any situation but personally I use just one on my right ankle and I feel more confident in my use of it as I always feel weaker in that ankle and the extra support evens it out. Careful, though... ankle supports can be quite restricting!

The best support for the purpose of support in my experience is the lace up, figure-eight velcro support. (Curad Figure Eight Lace-up Ankle Splints). This support however, is the most restricting I've used. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a gymnast, it may be suitable for some events but not all.

The best support I've found that is a happy medium between no support and too restricting is a less popular style: Tensor Sport Ankle Brace, Home Medical | Walmart Canada Online Shopping
This support is very adjustable, comfortable and feels supportive but not excessively restricting. It's the one I use now while coaching, tumbling, jumping and sprinting. Another plus side is it's cheaper than the other.

Other options:
KT Tape (Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape): This is a stretchy fabric tape that is applied to support ligaments, tendons, muscles without restricting movement. The effectiveness of this is a debate but I stand by it's value. Could be psychological but I always have a roll on hand. It is easy to learn how to apply and stays on quite well (except in the pit!). Also, I'm allergic to some athletic tapes, not this one!
Generic White Sports Tape: Allergic to a number of these. A good method but very wasteful and expensive plus not all that comfortable if you tape the ankle the generic cast-ressembling way. I learned a method from another coach that proved quite effective, much less wasteful, restricting and irritating. I can explain this way if you need me to.
Tensor Bandage: Don't recommend. Hot, sweaty... okay for post-practice recovery but doesn't stay on too well while tumbling and the compression isn't always all that helpful.

Wow, took more time on this than I anticipated, hope this helps!

Personally, if a doctor has looked at it and said it was OK, and if it isn't restricting activity, then I wouldn't worry too much. I would tell her that if it is continuing to hurt that you need to go back to the doctor and have the doctor tell you guys what is needed.

If it starts to restrict activity though, head back to the doctor ASAP. My son did something to his ankle. complained about it one evening; but was still walking. Next morning was limping. Took him to urgent care (it was a Saturday) and they said "maybe a *slight* sprain, most likely nothing". The next day he competed on it; but with it taped up by his coach. The NEXT day took him to the orthopedist because it was still bothering him. It was fractured.

He had been able to compete on it. Able to walk on it. He did decide to limit some things with competition, and his scores were *definitely* down due to it; but he was still doing stuff.

Like someone else said, these kids are used to working through some amount of pain a lot of times, so it is up to us to decide when it seems like an abnormal amount and requires further investigation.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the wonderful advice, we will be trying several things:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back