Parents Another what do you tell your gymnast thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a little surprised I didn't see any mention of scores. In all the meets I have been to (4 years) if someone's flippy thing is egregiously bad to the point of being unsafe it is reflected in the scores - even in the lower levels, but especially once you hit L6+. It's also something that the girls will be able to gauge better as they progress to higher levels and they tend to be their own worst critics - I have seen plenty of frustrated (to the point of crying) gymnasts because they just can't seem to get their (insert skill here) or stick a dismount.

Another note I'll add is that at first my DD was performing for me and I had to remove myself from the equation so that for gymnastics the HC was #1, and the other coaches were #2-4, the judges were #5, and I was just a spectator. Once I did that her progression was much faster and her shapes much cleaner and tighter. She still gets excited to share when she knows she nails something... and the whole team and coaches let them know when they do. She'll occasionally ask me to make sure I watch or video something at practice (this past week it was giants), but at the gym or at meets she has so much more to focus on than for me to add the pressure of what my untrained eye thinks looks good or bad.

All in all it comes to knowing your gymnast and whether they honestly believe it "felt good" or if they are just looking for someone they love to acknowledge their effort a bit because inside they know it wasn't that great - and their coach most likely already let them know as well - trust your instincts and say what you think will be best for your gymnast - none of us knows her like you.

At her very first meet I said I love your flippy thing, it was great. As the years and levels have gone on and I know she knows better, I say I have seen you do better flippy things, but your vault (insert whatever was best) was excellent and I'm so proud of you. We also enjoy watching videos of her first meets and laughing at the flippy thing she thought was great at the time ( legs apart, knees bent).

At her very first meet I said I love your flippy thing, it was great. As the years and levels have gone on and I know she knows better, I say I have seen you do better flippy things, but your vault (insert whatever was best) was excellent and I'm so proud of you. We also enjoy watching videos of her first meets and laughing at the flippy thing she thought was great at the time ( legs apart, knees bent).

Yes, this. For obvious flippy thing mistakes you seem insincere when sugar coating. You can always find a positive to offset it, though. Although, I'm sure most of your daughters are like mine; they focus on the one bad flippy thing, and not the great other flippy things!!

I'm a little surprised I didn't see any mention of scores. In all the meets I have been to (4 years) if someone's flippy thing is egregiously bad to the point of being unsafe it is reflected in the scores - even in the lower levels, but especially once you hit L6+. It's also something that the girls will be able to gauge better as they progress to higher levels and they tend to be their own worst critics - I have seen plenty of frustrated (to the point of crying) gymnasts because they just can't seem to get their (insert skill here) or stick a dismount.

Another note I'll add is that at first my DD was performing for me and I had to remove myself from the equation so that for gymnastics the HC was #1, and the other coaches were #2-4, the judges were #5, and I was just a spectator. Once I did that her progression was much faster and her shapes much cleaner and tighter. She still gets excited to share when she knows she nails something... and the whole team and coaches let them know when they do. She'll occasionally ask me to make sure I watch or video something at practice (this past week it was giants), but at the gym or at meets she has so much more to focus on than for me to add the pressure of what my untrained eye thinks looks good or bad.

All in all it comes to knowing your gymnast and whether they honestly believe it "felt good" or if they are just looking for someone they love to acknowledge their effort a bit because inside they know it wasn't that great - and their coach most likely already let them know as well - trust your instincts and say what you think will be best for your gymnast - none of us knows her like you.
aww, love this.

Hmmmm.... Congratulate her and give her praise for her accomplishment for where her current ability to perform the flippy thing is. I'm sure in her heart she went from not being able to do something to WTF was that. No matter the age, and level I will always teach DD there is room for improvement or something to work on. Even a perfect score needs practice.
My philosophy may be a bit much for some but it has taught my daughter to be more focused and relentless in the gym during practice and competition. She sets goals and always has something to strive for. I love my DD coaches the Pink Elephant in the room always gets addressed. If it doesn't you might want to pull the fire alarm on the
situation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back