WAG Anxiety before meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you handle your childs nerves before a big meet. I wonder if my approach is ideal. She has a huge fear of blowing it and feeling embarrassed. I play it off as, "it's no big deal. Do your best. I could care less what your score is as long as you go for it. These are the learning years....." Usually, I am so nervous for her but, try not to let on. What is your best advice? She's still so nervous. Maybe, a new approach would work better. :)

I don't have great perspective on this, but my heart truly goes out to those who suffer from serious anxiety. Good luck to you and her.

If I offered any words they might be this: even if she blows it completely and is being judged by those in the audience, she accomplished much more on the floor that day than anyone did sitting in the stands.

My DD gets nervous and I also get nervous for her! I also tell her to do her best and she can't expect more of herself than that, I mean if she has done the best she can, that's all she can do. Another interesting point is that nervousness and excitement are closely related - my DD gets nervous but is excited at the same time, and she enjoys competitions even with her nerves.

I don't think there is anything you can say that will stop someone being nervous. Some people will always get nervous, but there are ways to cope with it. I think it is important that she knows it is okay and normal to be nervous. Also, that while it is okay for nerves to be there, they are not in charge, she is. Relaxation techniques might help, such as slow breaths, progressive muscle relaxation, visualisation, and so on.

Im 13 and I get nervous lots (even though I only compete for my school), but my mum says like "Just go out there and have fun Soph" or "Do it for Nana and Grandad-Ken" who passed away.....it really helps me.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back