WAG Any advice on getting a Stalder to Handstand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seeker

Proud Parent
Dd can get it almost to horizontal but can't get it up and over. Any advice from coaches or veterans? She is very flexible -- legs look to be in good position, so it's not a flexibility issue.

How does she get it past that mid-point?

My girl has one in her routine, and her explicit instructions are: "Do it 10, 000 times or so"
o_O

I know that it similar to the kip in that it needs precise timing and lots of core strength.
I know my girls coach tapped her doing, then used The Coaches Eye app to break it down and show her what she was doing wrong/right.

Love seeing Stalders!
The only ones we saw last season were my girl and her teammate, not sure if it is a regional thing, but they are somewhat rare to see here.

Yeah -- they are rare so I think that's why HC really wants her to get it. She's close-ish but she's been at this point for a while now so she needs to try something different.

The secret to getting a good stalder is not to work it to handstand. Other than that, I am sure her coach has it under control. :) Post a video when she gets it.

Dd can get it almost to horizontal but can't get it up and over. Any advice from coaches or veterans? She is very flexible -- legs look to be in good position, so it's not a flexibility issue.

How does she get it past that mid-point?

need to see video.

need to see video.

I don't have one yet, but maybe next week. She did it in her routine yesterday though -- not to HS but is connected and flows well in and out of other skills, so she's past that hump. Will work on getting it higher over time. I will ask her to try to get a video this week.

Thanks!

She says to make sure to keep feet behind her head, and also open up shoulders when going up like a press handstand... She said hard to say w/out video! Younger smart Alec non gymnast says: point your toes, bend your arms and legs, stay hollow, close your eyes and believe! I'd go with the first advice lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back