WAG Any suggestions for my DD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
Hey,
Since I am not a gymnast - I can only post this here - :) Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions on punching better/harder on the floor - to gain more height?

Thank you...

There are many different drills around that can help improve punching the floor. I know when I has working on my front tuck I was always told to act like I'm trying to hit the ceiling and to help with the rotation they said to think about hitting your bottom on the roof which helped me learn to punch straight up into the air and learn to rotate sooner. Hope this helps.

Conditioning!! It's all about strength. Lower body strength in particular. Leg lifts, squats, jump up onto a block...those sorts of things.

This is a little late but we get told to use our ankles to punch off our toes, keep our chest up and aim for the roof. We also do lots of squat jumps and box jumps to condition, as well as setting a row of boxes with varying heights all the way down the floor and punching over them and sticking.

My DD's coach had DD watch some NCAA tumbling passes in frame by frame slow motion. When doing this it is obvious to see how the gymnast uses his or her body at the time of floor impact, how perfectly straight they are and how the floor and gymnast work together. Just a thought.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back