Any tips on how to choreograph a floor routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

find one that you can do on youtube and then copy it. or, find a choreographer.

There is a gym blog website that has some "floor gem" article suggesting categories for spcific types of rutine, there are some good examples and you could find a catagory that fits your music and work from there.

I do the following:
1. Write down all of the skills required
2. Listen to the music hundreds of times and get an idea of where each skill would best fit (fast parts = tumbles, slower parts = dance elements, choreography etc)
3. Decide on a floor pattern (see below)
4. Do the routine without any choreography, just the skills. Where the choreography needs to go in, make sure you count the beats so you know how long you have to get from A to B, or how long you will have to 'pose' for between tumbles etc.
5. Play with choreography. The possibilities are endless. Just make sure you have a 'low to the ground' part somewhere. Watch youtube to get ideas (I personally wouldn't copy whole chunks) Watch vids of routines to the same music if possible to get an idea of the types of dance which are suitable (don't go putting jazz dance steps into a classical music routine etc!)

Good Luck!

ROUTINEEXAMPLE.jpg

no, it's not moral/ethical gymgurl. but it is being done all over.

Im all for getting someone else to do it.

As far as the youtube thing I have no issues with copying a routine. Heck there are only so many combinations of routines out there. and lets face it the compulsory routines are the same one over and over and over. I think if you are in the North east for example the ods of you coming in contact with someone from California is probably not going to happen. So I don't see any reason not to share those things. And honestly if you don't want someone to "borrow" your routine then it shouldn't be posted on a social network site like YouTube where no copywrited materal is supposed to be posted. Its suppoed to be things that can be shared and used by others.

If you want a high quality, unique routine you must be willing to pay a professional to provode that.After coaching for many years I can tell you with certainty you get what you pay for in regards to choreography!

The reason I am wanting to choreograph it myself, is because I do not do USAG, and not many choreographers know the requirements for my floor routines since very little gyms do my program. Plus, I am not planning to go to college and just need a floor routine for a total of one year, and I am not willing to pay $500 for a routine.

Thank you marie83 for actually providing me some help with what I asked for. :)

$500!!!!! that is expensive. My DDs floor was $200 ish if I remember correctly for 2 hours minimum. I'm sure if you give a Choreographer your requirements and the tumbling etc you must include they could come up with something . Call a local dance studio and see if there is anyone there that could help you for cheaper money. There must be someone. Try contacting the YMCA - they usually use people that are lower costs as many Y's are in lower income areas and couldn't afford to offer gymnastics if it weren't on the more affordable side. But I have to agree with Gymcoach here you get what you pay for but you can get quality for cheaper than $500 Im sure.

Don't put in deductions. Your floor routine should err on being shorter not longer, get on the floor make a good impression get through your skills and get off. The longer you are on the floor the longer you are incurring deductions.

Also avoid putting in skills you don't need, lots of people love to cram their routine with extra skills to make it look fancy but on the skills there are deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back