Anyone ever had a broken Humerus (broken upper arm?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 6 y.o. broke her humerus 2 weeks ago. She is in an advanced preschool
gymnastics and LOVES it.

The doctors say that there is no reason why she can't go back.

Just wondering if anyone else have had this type of fracture (or any other)
and were you able to come back to gymnastics and is there any lindering effects?

Thanks!

she will return. and be certain that you are aggressive with physical therapy from the start so that the arm returns to straight. elbow joints are easier to return to straight. humerus fractures are a bit more difficult. there should be no foreseeable lingering effects.

My dd broke her humerous just above the elbow when she was 5 - she was competing Level 3 that season (didn't break it doing gymnastics). She has had a very successful gymnastics career since. SHe did have a difficult recovery due to nerve damage. Was the fracture displaced? How many pins? Did they have to open the arm to place the pins? As dunno said, the therapy is important - they will take the pins out after only three or four weeks (for us it was 24 days post op). It took us 3 months of therapy to be able to straighten it and she had only a tingle sensation in three fingers for 4 months. Now her elbow actually over straightens and she can not bend it completely (she cannot touch her shoulder with her fingers). She was out of gymnastics completely for 3 months and then limited for another 6 weeks.

She broke it mid-shaft. No nerve damage...and no surgery needed. Just fixed/move back into place in ER and now in cast.

That's great! You should be good to go - she still might not completely be able to straighten it when the cast comes off because it will have been bent for awhile, but you might not even need therapy since there wasn't damage to the elbow. You got lucky in my mind! Kids are so resilient - she'll bounce back quickly - I think its harder on the parent than the kid.

She'll need some therapy to get the joints loosened and strong again and also to build up strength in the arm. There shouldn't be a problem with her doing any activity once the fracture heals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back