MAG Are 'Baby Giants' useful if you already have Giants?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I have been told that hollow overs and baby giants are the same thing....
long hang pullover is also a different skill, however the are all progressions of the same skill....

This video is something different than we call 'Baby Giants' as her hips aren't touching the bar.
Here's a vid (random youtbe search) of what we call the Baby Giant at 16-18 seconds into the video.

Personally, I would call baby giants a swing that doesn't go to handstand, but doesn't touch the bar, I prefer the term 3/4 giants. I would just call what's in the level 5 routine a long hang pullover, although some people call it a baby giant. The USAG compulsory text calls it a "long hang pullover." Not sure why or how anyone would omit for any reason from the level 5 routine. It's something a level 5 could do at least poorly pretty much on their first attempt. So even if you didn't care to train it you could have the kids practice it like once and then score out.

Seems like kind of a risky strategy for scoring out of Level 5. They took a bunch of girls and scored them out of 4 and then 5. They omitted an element in L5 bars, which is typically tough to score well in anyway. Isn't that double the value deduction? What were the scores like?

I honestly can't remember. Lowe 30's aa. The coaches were just looking to get minimum to bump them up to optionals.

Personally, I would call baby giants a swing that doesn't go to handstand, but doesn't touch the bar, I prefer the term 3/4 giants. I would just call what's in the level 5 routine a long hang pullover, although some people call it a baby giant. The USAG compulsory text calls it a "long hang pullover." Not sure why or how anyone would omit for any reason from the level 5 routine. It's something a level 5 could do at least poorly pretty much on their first attempt. So even if you didn't care to train it you could have the kids practice it like once and then score out.

We are starting our 4th season of competition and 1 thing I have learned is to trust the coaches and not ask questions ;) . Dd had a successful level 6 season last year, has all her level 7 skills, and is up training higher optional skills. So I just nod my head, encourage my dd, and go with the flow. I stopped trying to figure out their thought process a long time ago!:)

We are starting our 4th season of competition and 1 thing I have learned is to trust the coaches and not ask questions ;) . Dd had a successful level 6 season last year, has all her level 7 skills, and is up training higher optional skills. So I just nod my head, encourage my dd, and go with the flow. I stopped trying to figure out their thought process a long time ago!:)
Is it possible they do teach the skill we are talking about but you don't know what it looks like? Again it's in the level 5 bar routine and they do have kids score out of level 5 correct?

Is it possible they do teach the skill we are talking about but you don't know what it looks like? Again it's in the level 5 bar routine and they do have kids score out of level 5 correct?

The closest skill that they trained/competed was free hip. My dd, and a select few, were pushed through to optionals last year for a variety of reasons. They scored out of 4 and 5 at 1 in house meet. Literally, they spent 15 minutes learning the routine, then competed it. These girls were already training 6 and 7 skills after completing level 3 so the testing out of 4/5 was just a technical issue.

The closest skill that they trained/competed was free hip. My dd, and a select few, were pushed through to optionals last year for a variety of reasons. They scored out of 4 and 5 at 1 in house meet. Literally, they spent 15 minutes learning the routine, then competed it. These girls were already training 6 and 7 skills after completing level 3 so the testing out of 4/5 was just a technical issue.

Oh, well in that case if it was sort of like a clinic I assume that they just tried it then and then competed it. Like I said, if you were prepared to do level 5/6, it wouldn't really take much effort to do it (not saying it will be amazing but it's basically just a swinging pullover). It's not really like a clear hip where it would takes months of drills to even get it over. Most coaches do spend a lot of time on these drills as a lead up for Giants and to get straight arm shifting. But just to throw the level 5 routine, eh. I would assume they did it when they scored out though, it would be really weird not to.

Oh, well in that case if it was sort of like a clinic I assume that they just tried it then and then competed it. Like I said, if you were prepared to do level 5/6, it wouldn't really take much effort to do it (not saying it will be amazing but it's basically just a swinging pullover). It's not really like a clear hip where it would takes months of drills to even get it over. Most coaches do spend a lot of time on these drills as a lead up for Giants and to get straight arm shifting. But just to throw the level 5 routine, eh. I would assume they did it when they scored out though, it would be really weird not to.

When she went from level 3 to level 6 last year, I stopped trying to "guess" the coaches next move. I trust their judgement and know that they have my dd's best interest at heart. I will also say that the jump from 3 to 6 was difficult on my perfectionist daughter and I am looking forward to just moving up 1 level this season. We aren't feeling like we are playing catch up like last year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back