Parents Are "optional" practices really optional?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
My DD is training level 4 (testing in a few weeks). Historically, the level 4s practice 13 hours a week, divided among 4 days. I have just heard from several parents, who are usually much more "in the know" than I am that the gym is considering adding an "optional" 5th practice day for the level 4s, to bring the hours to 16 a week.

So, my question is is this day really optional or am I making it more likely that my child will not move to level 5 in one season if I choose not to send her for the extra practice? Assuming my kid makes level 4 (I'm never sure where things stand), I think that 5 days a week is just too much as she will only be in second grade next year. It may be fine over the summer, but beyond that, I doubt it. Am I doing her a disservice if I choose not to let her do this? (I'm not sure that she would even want to, but even if she did, I just don't think *I* would want her to...). To her, at this point, gym is still a social thing and it would devastate her not to move up with her group, so obviously I want to help her keep up if possible, but 5 days? yikes!

Funny you bring this up...I was just talking to DH last night about our summer schedule bc they are doing optional 3 hour practices for our 3s and 4s as well (which will be 12 hours and 15 hours respectively). We are definitely doing it but I was just saying "it's not really optional as I can guarantee all 40 (yes 40!) level 3s will do it as well with the exception of maybe 2. Now, our extra day is only for summer so a little different. If I were you, I would do it for the summer and see how it goes.

That depends on the gym I guess. Our level sevens and eights have the option of a fifth day in the summer and it truly is an option. But you do have to decide before summer schedule starts if you're going for the fifth day or not and then that's your decision for the summer.

My DD takes more hours to achieve and polish new skills than her teammates. So, we have had optional practices that she does but some of her teammates do not...and they all end up in the same place. So whether it's necessary or not may depend on your DD and what she still needs to get? May be worth an email to her coach? Also, our girls often train an extra day or extra hours in the summer then back off again when school starts.

In the past when my girls' gyms had optional days they were truly optional, and required no long term commitment at all. They were pay as you go, or month-to-month.

May be worth an email to her coach? Also, our girls often train an extra day or extra hours in the summer then back off again when school starts.

That is what I would have hoped for - extra summer hours only. School year will be rough. I'm going to hold off on the email as for the moment, this is all hearsay and I've not heard anything official from the coaches!

My DD takes more hours to achieve and polish new skills than her teammates. So, we have had optional practices that she does but some of her teammates do not...and they all end up in the same place. So whether it's necessary or not may depend on your DD and what she still needs to get? May be worth an email to her coach? Also, our girls often train an extra day or extra hours in the summer then back off again when school starts.
I was gong to say something along these lines too. If you have a dd that needs extra time to polish her skills and routines then the extra hours would benefit her but if your dd is already ahead, then it may not be as important for her. Also, if you truly feel that 16 hours is too much for your dd then that's your answer, regardless of whether it might hinder her ability to move to the next level in one year.

Be aware that anytime a kid feels pressured (either by parents, coaches or the gym itself) to do extra practices that not everyone on the team does, you risk burnout.

Our gym implemented optional extra training like that, and we had more girls leave the sport recently for the famous "it wasn't fun anymore" reason out of the group that chose the extra training last year, than from those that didn't. I think eventually they start to get jealous of the girls that don't have to come as many days, and honestly, the progress difference was not as significant between the two groups as you'd expect either.

I guess my point is only have your daughter do the extra training if she is asking to do it - don't pressure her in any way.

Our gym does three days, with a 4th being optional. Most girls go the fourth day most weeks. Nearly all miss from time to time.

From experience. My daughter didn't do the extra day at the lower levels, 2-5.
Comparatively she was one of the better gym scorers (placed well) and it had held her back as in she takes longer to get skills. She and we (her parents) are OK with that. She has recently added the fourth day most weeks. She has no big aspirations as in Elite, Div 1 college. If she went that many hours she would of been a great L4 and been done.m she has now made it to 6 working toward 7.

Now summer is different. As every other week is a camp week, 5 full days. These are also optional.

Really it depends on your kid. My kid while she averages 20 hours a week in the summer would not like 16 hour weeks during the school year. She in 5th grade just recently upped it to 12, 2-3 times a month.

JMO, I think 16 hours for regular training (not summer). Is too much for a second grader and L4

I was gong to say something along these lines too. If you have a dd that needs extra time to polish her skills and routines then the extra hours would benefit her but if your dd is already ahead, then it may not be as important for her. Also, if you truly feel that 16 hours is too much for your dd then that's your answer, regardless of whether it might hinder her ability to move to the next level in one year.

I disagree, a 7yo level 4 does not need to be doing 15 hours per week. Polished or not she us young and the hours in this sport go up quickly as it is. Doing that optional has the great potential to burn out a young one.

At 7, I think every practice is optional. You are the parent and sometimes taking a night off or leaving early is what YOUR kid needs. The nice thing about an "optional" practice is it can give you sone flexibility if you need to take a night off you can go to the optional to make it up. But again, especially when they are young, I really think you want them wanting more time.

Saturday's are optional at our gym. Until a couple of months ago my daughter rarely went due to a time conflict. Her journey is her journey, not the other kids.

We also understand that it may take longer to get skills. We are good with our choices.

She has not "fallen" behind her original group. Might she be further ahead? Maybe.

She goes most Saturdays now. And all the girls miss practice from time to time. School stuff, the occasional party or trip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back