WAG Are there different start values in L6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
I realize that this is probably a really naive question, so bear with me.

I've noticed that in L6 kids are doing different skills in their routines. Essentially some are doing more difficult skills than others.

For example, on beam some do a BWOBWO and others do a BWOBHS. On floor, some do a FHSFT and others do a FT. Some do a ROBHSBT and others do a ROBHSBLO, and their leap passes have different leaps. On bars, some do a toe circle to the high bar and others do a jump. Some do giant-giant-layout for their dismount and others do a cast handstand to a layout.

I realize it's called optionals for a reason, and my sense is that the coaches are having the girls compete the harder skill as long as it's solid. My question is: does doing a harder skill impact the score at all? Or is competing the harder skill done more to give them the experience/get them ready for L7? Is it the same as in L3, where the kids who have a solid kip can compete that for the experience, but it's still worth the same as the other way of starting that routine (I forget what the skills are called)? Or is it more like in the higher levels, where harder skills are done to get a higher score?

For the record, this is pure curiosity.

Thanks!

Same start value as long as the reqiuirements are met. The value, as you mentioned, is experience. It's best t make sure the upgraded skills are solid before competing them.

They all have a 10.0 start value unless you are missing a required element. Doing a harder skill doesn't get you a higher score. Adding a giant in on bars can actually lower your score if it's not done perfectly because they don't give you bonus but can deduct you for form, etc. But, it gives the gymnast experience competing them.

You might find this helpful. =) Yes there is a range of skills as long as they meet the requirements laid out here they will have the same start value. A well executed "easier' skill will score better than a more difficult one that is not as well executed. I've even seen a lot of variation in the routines just within our L6 team in our gym. Each gymnast tends to compete routines suited to their personal strengths. Since all gymnasts are different, the routines can really vary. Sometimes a skill that is supposed to be more difficult will come easier to a gymnast than the skill that is supposed to be easier. I've also seen girls compete max difficulty on one event that is their strongest but then minimum on another that they may be having trouble with.

Thanks very much for the info! That makes a lot of sense. Does it work the same in levels 7-8? From the doc you posted it looks like the "bonuses" don't begin until L9.

Thanks very much for the info! That makes a lot of sense. Does it work the same in levels 7-8? From the doc you posted it looks like the "bonuses" don't begin until L9.

Bonuses don't begin until level 9. You are correct. It works the same in level 7. In level 8, we start judging "composition," so a skill that meets the requirements will still have a 10.0 SV, but may get a deduction for "not being up to competitive level."

Sorry, in the above post, I should have said "a routine that meets the requirements will have a 10.o SV."

The compositional deductions are used to help distinguish routines with creative and difficult elements or combinations from "stock" routines that meet the minimum requirements but nothing else.

Beginning at L6, you may see the judges display a SV card at the end of each routine. Or, you may find "SV: 9.7", etc on your dd's score card. Even though the routine may fulfill the requirements on paper, sometimes the execution will cause a deduction in start value. For example, at one meet, kipper didn't hit handstand in her bar routine, and her clear hip was below horizontal. That meant she was "missing" a B skill, which affected her SV. I'm sharing this because I remember finding the card in her bag and being really confused.

Beginning at L6, you may see the judges display a SV card at the end of each routine. Or, you may find "SV: 9.7", etc on your dd's score card. Even though the routine may fulfill the requirements on paper, sometimes the execution will cause a deduction in start value. For example, at one meet, kipper didn't hit handstand in her bar routine, and her clear hip was below horizontal. That meant she was "missing" a B skill, which affected her SV. I'm sharing this because I remember finding the card in her bag and being really confused.

Very good point! A routine may be designed to fill all the requirements, but a fall or a mistake on a skill may mean the gymnast does not get credit for the skill, hence, lowering the start value. For example, if a split jump isn't big enough on beam, it isn't credited as a split jump. If the split jump was her only "B" skill and her only split leap/jump on beam, she would be missing both a special requirement and a "B" for a SV of 9.2.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back