arm strength! help me D:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi guys! havent been on here in forever D: but my bars are good..theyve improved anyway. but i need some arm strength! D: what excersises can i do to improve strength in my arms? how long woould it take to have enough strength to do a handstand or kip on bars ( women gymnastics) id like to have my kip by the summer ( i'd like to be level 7 by the end of the year, and my strength is holding me back, i think because all my other skiills are good, cept this one.)

A kip and a cast handstand are more core strength than arms. Even more of the skill is timing than strength as well as angles. Having said that, extra strength increases the likelihood of making the skills.
For kips:
Pull ups
rope climbs
toe touches hanging from the bars.
Jump to support with straight arms with the bar at eye level.

For Cast handstand:
Press handstands
Push ups
Donkey kick to handstand straddled or piked.

Connecting kip to cast handstand:
Kip to L support on P-bars if you have them available.
Kip to cast over on pit bar (i.e. ride the kip until you fall past the bar then cast off over the bar into the pit) This is to get used to the forward lean before casting.
Try to keep your feet in front during your kip as long as possible. When your body starts to cast on its own after the kip, help the cast go to handstand from there.
There are plenty of drills for each of the skills as well.

I would like to add dips as far as upper body strength to make the kip. It's not necessary to be able to dip to kip (I've had girls kip who probably couldn't do a PB dip) but it's nice.

For the kip and basic bar work I prefer to have a gymnast with a solid L-hang, straddle-L(lever) and V-hang as rudimentary basics. Of course, a solid L-support as well.

I would like to add dips as far as upper body strength to make the kip. It's not necessary to be able to dip to kip (I've had girls kip who probably couldn't do a PB dip) but it's nice.

For the kip and basic bar work I prefer to have a gymnast with a solid L-hang, straddle-L(lever) and V-hang as rudimentary basics. Of course, a solid L-support as well.

OOOOH, I love dips :). And most of my kids can't even do them correctly.
I've got a girl whose legs grew about a foot and a half in the last year and the L-hang is what we're working on to get her kip back to looking like a kip again.

Try doing some conditioning at home. Such as push-ups, handstand holds, and even things that help your stomach muscles. This should help and you can rock bars this summer! GOOD LUCK!

I do lots of pull ups/chinups/casts/dips/static and press handstands/hollow holds/pushups with my feet up on a mat/and handstand walking. Good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back