At what level do trampolinists typically start competing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
In WAG, there are level 1 and 2 routines, but relatively few gyms compete level 1 and 2. Is trampoline the same? Is there a particular level where kids typically start competing? What are the advantages and disadvantages of starting earlier or waiting later?

In Australia they start competing at level 1 in trampoline and tumbling. We have kids as young as 4 competing.

I'm no tramp expert, but it is very rare to see below level 3 trampoline competing at meets in our area.

We have a lot of preschool level 1-3 compete. Usually its kind of stupid. You pay like $100 to watch your 3 year old bounce around and forget what they are doing then they get a medal. I see no advantage to this. Likewise I've seen 15 year olds do level 3 cause that is what they could do. You can't do regionals in my region or Nationals til level 5.

In Australia they start competing at level 1 in trampoline and tumbling. We have kids as young as 4 competing.
Is it different in Queensland? You can't compete in any gymnastics sport under Gymnastics New South Wales rules until the year you turn 6 (ie 6 by the 31st December), so 4 year olds can't compete. I assumed that all of Australia had the same rule?
From what I've seen most are similar age to starting to compete WAG - 6-9.

Here in the UK they can start competing around the age of 5, but mostly they are about 7. Lots of kids here start competing before they can somersault, and the club levels and the first regional level doesn't have to include somersaults. I think if they start competing earlier they are less bothered by the whole process when it gets a bit more serious, they already know how it works because they've done a few comps that didn't really matter. If they start at a higher level they have to worry about a tough routine and the fact that they've never competed before so they don't know where to go or what to do.

Little lad did his first Tramp comp a couple of months ago. He is never going set the world on fire sports wise but he has fun. He does an hour a week and his routine was bounces, jumps and swivel hips ( Award 6). His comp was a rec comp in county.

USTA starts at Beginner level and you can be as young as 3. They also compete at State and National meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back