At what point is the clear hip swing degree measured?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
dd's clear hip is at a 45* (half vertical) on the upswing but only roughly horizontal when her shoulders are over the bar. Is it measured as the legs are going over the bars or when the shoulders are supporting the body over the bar?

I'm 80 percent sure that the angle is judged when the gymnast shifts her wrists.

20 percent of me is telling me that I'm making a fool out of myself.

I'm 80 percent sure that the angle is judged when the gymnast shifts her wrists.

20 percent of me is telling me that I'm making a fool out of myself.

I believe I've heard this as well, but I can't find it specified in the code.

I believe that is correct. this past weekends meet were had asked the coach the same thing we were also told by the coach it is measured from the lowest part of the gymnasts body so if they are bent a bit its measured from the toes lowest point or if they are banana shaped its measured from the sagging tummy.

We had a lot of pike looking and banana looking gymnasts and has some lower than expected scores from the harder than expected judges.

We had some judges explain to us that there is some disagreement about the interpretation of this. Two judges were scoring differently, one giving B credit for the angle of the leg, even if toes were flexed below the angle, minus the form deduction, the other only giving B credit if toes were pointed and above the 45o.

According to the Table of Penalties for Level 6 Uneven Bars (updated page 170), the degree is measured at the extension of the upswing from a "line from shoulders to mid-point of lowest body part". With that said, our gym trains that it is on the upswing when she shifts her wrists. I can't find anything stated about the point is is taken (feet over bar vs. shoulders) but we do it at the wrist shift....hmmm

The angle is determined at the point the gymnast's wrists shift to the top of the bar. The angle is measured by the lowest point of the body. So a high clear hip with a major arch will be measured by the belly, an overly hollow clear hip will be measured at the feet.

Thanks everyone. I knew they counted the lowest body part. I just didn't know when they counted it. It never even occurred to me it would be with the wrist shift. I was thinking shoulders. But I guess it is all connected anyway. I will have to look at dd's video again and check the wrist shift.

According to the Table of Penalties for Level 6 Uneven Bars (updated page 170), the degree is measured at the extension of the upswing

I can't find anything stated about the point is is taken (feet over bar vs. shoulders) but we do it at the wrist shift....hmmm

the extension of the upswing is where the wrist shift occurs.

At region 5 congress and other clinics, the word is also to measure the extension when the wrist shift occurs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back