Back Hand Spring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SuperGirlmlm

Gymnast
I broke my wrist and ankle due to a bad fall off beam while doing a back hand spring, two eight year old girls were goofing around on the beam next to me and one pushed the other off and fell into my while I was in the middle of doing my back hand spring. Now, I've recovered, but I won't do a back hand spring on floor or on beam.
Help!

I'm glad to hear you've recovered. I'm not a coach, but I've been through similar things. My dad was a gymnastics coach. Whenever something like that happened, he'd go back to the baby steps. (In your case, baby steps might be something like working on the skill on the floor beam for a while or working with a spot for a while or something.) Once you do a few, that fear will probably go away. What an awful experience, though. Talk to your coach about your concerns. I hope you move past this soon. The longer you let fear stand in your way, the harder it will probably be to overcome.

By the way, please don't take any of this as a suggestion for what you should do. I'm really only saying you might want to ask your coach for some extra support until you feel comfortable again. I have no idea what they would recommend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back