Back Hip circle help?????? (Beware of rant)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I mean, now I can everything fine with the other events but....... my good ol' enemy, THE BAR..... dud dud dun..... yeah, i fail at bars..... it took me two years to get my pullover and the only that's blocking from level two is that good ol' bar. Well, not really, my back hip circle. I can never tell when to go over after the cast.... too early? Too late? So yeah, can you guys help me?

Here to help!

Soooo... To begin I have had the LONGEST AND MOST PAINFUL journey with BHCs. And now we are working one cast back hip circle under swing dismount... I hate bars. Okay so to begin for real, how old are you? Now for the help... With a three cast back hip circle, perform two casts and on the last one let your hips return to the bar and then VERY QUICKLY lean back with straight arms, head in, and keeping your hips to the bar the entire time. The quicker it is, the easier. I will always have problems with bars and I'm not looking forward to that, but I like your thread considering I had the same exact problems. Has your gym ever worked hollow body holds with you? If so, imagine when you are doing a one cast BHC that right after a BIG CAST right when your hips hit the bar, spin around, in that hollow position, NOT DROPPING YOUR HIPS.

~hoped this helped and reply :beady:

I didn't really have much of an issue learning those, but something that helped me was to keep my arms and elbows locked- if they are perfectly straight, you shouldn't have to much of a problem with getting your hips on the bar.

Sometimes you will want to put a mat under you depending on how tall you are.. If you are young, put a mat under you to make it much swifter. I was going to explain more, but I'm not sure of your age..

Try putting a mat under you as you're doing it. It might give you comfort as well as if you drop your hips, it will be shorter drop. Do you want some drills??

I'm 13, but I'm am EXTREMLEY short....... I'm like 4ft 10in
That's not extremely short. I'm 5'1 and 34. I was like 4'10 as a frosh.

Anyways, what I often use for gymnasts struggling with this is a circle trainer. There are more fancy ones out there than mine but mine is cheap and it works.

I go get some cotton rope from the hardware store and basically tie a gymnast to the bar around their hips. Works great. Some kids love it, some kids hate being tied to the bar. It's not as good for front hip circles since they can cheat the mechanics of a true front hip but it does give them more repetitions and less spotting. Since you can pike and extend your hips you can get a baby cast into the motion.

Look for circle trainers on the web and you'll figure out how to tie it.

Rest on the bar, the rope will go around your lower back and right below your butt cheeks/glutes and tie behind one of those. It can be tied by yourself but I generally tie kids in and take them out though they often figure out how to get out themselves and it will sort of get undone after a lot of use.

Okay! Have you ever worked hollow body holds? If so 30 sec rounds and 20 sec breaks all through commercials help. Hollow body rocks help too!! Make sure you're doing these right, because if done wrong, it can create bad habits.. These helped me a lot. I forgot to mention earlier, don't spin around on the BHC until your hips have returned to the bar. Good luck! :) If you want more drills, let me know! ;)

Not a huge fan of these, but sometimes we teach beginners tuck or pike back hip circles before straight. I'd go with pike instead of tuck.

The best advice I got for learning BHC was to watch my feet coming up behind the bar. I just keep my eyes on my feet. Also push the bar down to keep arms straight. Generally people pike a lot when first learning but get straighter as they improve.

I wouldn't worry so much about having a huge cast, I think that makes it harder to control. When I was first learning I had to really push my legs around hard to get around the bar, I mean really go for it. Think about pushing your feet up behind the bar. I had a coach push me around the first few times because I was too scared to try it on my own at first! You might pike a lot at first, but it gets you around so you get used to the basic movement. As your body learns how it works, eventually you won't have to push so hard and then you'll be able to work on refining it with nicer shapes, etc.

A bigger cast gives you more momentum. This is true but not exactly necessary.

Looking for your toes or the bars are good cues. I generally tell them to watch the bar as they cast.

They must not throw the head back. If they do, they might as well pray to get around the bar for all the good it will do.

Im having trouble with my BHC form so is there anything to help with my form?

Bring hips to bar, pull shoulders backwards fast. Stay connected to bar and don't throw your head back.

I mean, now I can everything fine with the other events but....... my good ol' enemy, THE BAR..... dud dud dun..... yeah, i fail at bars..... it took me two years to get my pullover and the only that's blocking from level two is that good ol' bar. Well, not really, my back hip circle. I can never tell when to go over after the cast.... too early? Too late? So yeah, can you guys help me?
I had big problems with cast back hip circles too. Once you've hit the bar just rotate and you'll be fine,just try to stay tight because if your floppy and you hit the bar to hard you will get winded. I do boys gymnastics so girls cast back hip circles.

I get like halfway, then I drop my hips from the bar. It's so annoying. Am I not pulling enough? Or is it a lack of core strength?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back