WAG Back Walkover - how to connect dropping back into a bridge and kickover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello, I hope someone can help me with my back walkover. I have no problem with falling into a bridge on one foot and doing a kickover on a flat floor, but I cannot do a back walkover. I lose momentum when I fall into a bridge on one foot, and I have to pause to regain the momentum for the kickover. I can't kick back while dropping into a bridge.

Coaches have had me drilling tic toc, kickover, and dropping to a bridge on one foot with the other foot on an elevated surface. I have no problem with all three now. I just cannot seamlessly connect the motion of dropping back and doing the kickover. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

You should be lowering yourself into the bridge with your body under control and your core muscles engaged not “falling” into a bridge.

When your hands reach the floor, it’s important that you don’t relax your core. You gotta keep your core engaged the whole way through.

Can you lower yourself into a bridge standing on one foot with the other leg extended in front of you and keep that leg high in the air so that it is pointed to the ceiling when your hands reach the floor? Then you just kick over like a tick tick. Work on those two pieces separately and together and you’ll get it. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back