Anon Cast squat on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I’m a silver gymnast and I’m 14 and I’m the oldest and they won’t let me move up when I got my back walkover on beam and a front handspring on the vault and I’m still on silver. But it is on teeny tiny problem….i don’t have a squat on well I have it but when I do it I only get one foot up there what can I do to get both feet on?HELP PLEASEEEE!

Practice doing either
1. cast position on a floor bar > jump into a squat on > stand up and jump forward. you can also simply do this on a tape line or imagine a line if you have no equipment to practice on - remember: if your feet don't land between your hands, they wouldn't land on the bar.

2. squat on up to a spotting block > stand up and jump forward

once you can do one or both of these 5x in a row with both feet at the same time (and land on the correct side - jumping forward each time) I'd say is a good time to try the bar again.

if 1. and 2. are consistent but the squat on is still too challenging - you can put a floor bar on a raised surface so you have to jump further... might feel more like a squat-on.

Lastly - only count your squat-on drills as successes if you are landing with all fours on the bar: both hands and feet must be on the bar before you begin standing - it's dangerous to do a "hopping" squat-on, so don't mess with it!

In Gold, you are allowed to do the entire routine on the high bar, so as long as you could use a springboard to jump up and grab the high bar, then do a pullover, you could do your entire routine up there.
Of course, the coaches would have to agree to it.
On our team, we have girls who have all their skills except for the squat on do a climb up onto the low bar.
We have one girl that often gets just one foot on. If she feels balanced enough, she will slide the other foot up onto the bar too.
Have you considered a straddle on instead? We have had a couple who had more success with that because they were "all legs" and there wasn't enough space for their feet to be on the bar in between their hands. One of them ended up almost breaking her nose trying to get the squat on ... she did end up with a bloody nose and 2 black eyes from it.

Try pushing and leaning down on that bar and keep shoulders over the bar and maybe make that first cast small and then the one for the squat on make that on big.

I had a similar problem when I was younger. My left leg would not tuck as tight as my right. Back in the day (70's and 80's) we did something called a shoot thru where you would cast and one foot would go thru your hands and you would arrive in a stride position on the bar. Maybe working something like that with the leg that doesn't get on the bar would help. I bet it is your non dominate leg. So you have to train that leg to tuck in tight. If you can get it through your hands, getting it on the bar would come easier. Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back