Backhandspring hand placement on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
I thought I posted this earlier, so if it's a duplicate, just ignore!

What is the "correct" way to teach this skill? I was just wondering because I've seen girls perform it with one hand over the other, and others place their hands side by side. It seems to me that the girls who have one hand on top of the other always have bent elbows? I was just wondering if there's a right vs. wrong way for the skill to be taught. Opinions please!

Thanks!

Yes, one hand on top of the other usually leads to bent elbows and mushed fingers. I try and teach the heel of the front hand in between the thumb and pointer finger of the back hand. And if they step out lefty, right hand in front. If they step out righty, left hand in front. This is what I try to do, there are ALWAYS exceptions, but one hand on top of the other I never allow, but if something else works and they have a good back handsprings I usually don't mess with it too much.

I know one hand on top of the other leads to broken fingers as well as crooked bhs's. Hands beside each other lead to back head springs when they slip. I've seem folks coach "good" hand in front for ease and "bad" hand in front to make the skill square if the good hand in front made them twist too much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back